• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Is there a way to do trades safety?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing trades here on R2R. With trading I feel there is a risk of a seller not sending an item or say it arrives DOA. Does anyone know of a way to combat this problem?

I was thinking have one person send a payment through PayPal for the trade valve of the cost of the coral they are trading for like they are buying it. Make sure it’s goods and services and then put what you are trading for in the notes. After the one person gets the funds they can send It right back doing the same for your coral. That way if they don’t send it or it arrives DOA you could start a PayPal dispute or charge back with your credit card. Essentially it’s like you are buying each other’s corals. Maybe there is all ready a separate escrow service that does this. Does anyone know of one?

Maybe I’m overthinking this but when trading high end coral and paying $50 shipping on top of it, it could be quite a loss.

Sorry if this isn’t the right forum section to post this to. Mods feel free to move.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to trade with reefers who have been here pretty long on the forums and who tend to stay active as well.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only trade with people that have a good community review and have been on r2r a while. My first trade was kinda scary, but I remained hopeful and it worked out for me. I've gotten some really nice pieces in trade.

That’s probably the best bet. I’m glad it worked out for you. I find most people are decent but there are always bad apples.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do alot of high end coral trades and yes it can be scary when you got a $1,500 single coral in a box going to person you’ve never met, but I’ve always had great experiences here. Shipping is just Is what it is I’d rather pay $60 in shipping and trade $2k of frags cut when I have $50k in coral then spend another $2k.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can join a local club as well so you can trade near you as well, there's always a risk when its essentially an internet handshake that ends in a high five hopefully, but in the end you gotta feel comfortable. Good advice on long term members and such, i think most people are good and arent out to burn people...i hope so anyway

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do alot of high end coral trades and yes it can be scary when you got a $1,500 single coral in a box going to person you’ve never met, but I’ve always had great experiences here. Shipping is just Is what it is I’d rather pay $60 in shipping and trade $2k of frags cut when I have $50k in coral then spend another $2k.

True, I would be crazy nervous to do a 2k trade haha

Back