Is there something wrong with my six line wrasse?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has had a bit of a belly since I got it, but in the last week it's gotten quite large. I'm uploading a short video - you should be able to pause it to see. Sorry if it's not high quality, I'm by no means a photographer.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Six Line wrasse.mp4
    20.2 MB

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not sure if it is something wrong or just a well fed six line. Mine looks pregnant fat, I have tons of pods. I wonder if it just doesn't know it's full since mine is always hunting.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it is something wrong or just a well fed six line. Mine looks pregnant fat, I have tons of pods. I wonder if it just doesn't know it's full since mine is always hunting.

That's quite possible. It eats like a pig. I just wanted to make sure early so if it's something I can try to catch the little sucker. It's fast.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish has had a bit of a belly since I got it, but in the last week it's gotten quite large. I'm uploading a short video - you should be able to pause it to see. Sorry if it's not high quality, I'm by no means a photographer.

Thanks!
Either fish is full or it has constipation.
Does the fish lose weight between feedings?
What foods are you feeding? Any pellets?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either fish is full or it has constipation.
Does the fish lose weight between feedings?
What foods are you feeding? Any pellets?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

It does not lose weight between feedings. I alternate pellet one day and frozen the next. So far it seems perfectly normal except for the belly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It does not lose weight between feedings. I alternate pellet one day and frozen the next. So far it seems perfectly normal except for the belly.
I suspect pellets which can be hard for them to digest. Try frozen the next two days and see if there is a change in belly contour

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen a number of instances like this here on R2R - that it doesn't lose weight between feeding implies that it isn't just over-eating. That leaves constipation or egg-binding as the two possibilities - I've always thought this was due to egg binding.

Jay

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a number of instances like this here on R2R - that it doesn't lose weight between feeding implies that it isn't just over-eating. That leaves constipation or egg-binding as the two possibilities - I've always thought this was due to egg binding.

Jay

If it's egg binding is there anything I can do or am I going to lose her?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's egg binding is there anything I can do or am I going to lose her?

On larger fish, people try surgery or injecting with oxytocin. Nothing you can do for a small wrasse like this. In some cases, they are able to release the eggs on their own, so it isn't always fatal.

Jay

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On larger fish, people try surgery or injecting with oxytocin. Nothing you can do for a small wrasse like this. In some cases, they are able to release the eggs on their own, so it isn't always fatal.

Jay

I'm glad to hear that. Thank you. I'm more used to dealing with birds and there it usually results in death. Here's hoping she makes it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back