Is this a Glass Ball Anemone? How to control?

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed four of these tonight. They're transparent, and a pretty bluish-green, with white spots, and white balls on the tips of the tentacles. The photo is of one about 1/2" in diameter. I have one that's 1/4" and two that are closer to 1". They are all at the base of my live rock, right about the sand. I don't see them anywhere else in the tank. . . yet. Should I be concerned with these spreading, and is there a way to control these? Do nudibranchs or shrimps eat these like aptasia? I have bubble tip anemones and LPS corals in the tank as well, so need a reef safe solution. Thank you in advance.
DSC01073.JPG

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball Anemone, actually a corallimorph. I think they’re really cool so I leave them be, never have they multiplied or spread or stung nearby corals like other pest anemones do. Manual removal with some tweezers would probably suffice.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With favourable tank conditions they will spread and there's not much to control them, besides manual removal i guess. My peppermints (L. bogessi) won't touch them.

But, at least for me, they only really thrive in shadowy nooks or in between chaeto. Never really in the high light spots corals would sit in. Have had them spread all around my tank, see babies floating by now and then, never have they annoyed any zoa, LPS, SPS or sponge in my tank, because they rarely ever touch and on the rare occasions that a floater does touch a coral, i haven't seen any bad effects.

Now and then they peek out from their nooks into the light and glow very prettily, I like them and leave them be. Initially I even purposefully spread them around in shadowy cave areas.

They are closest related to Discosoma and Rhodactis, and closer to stony corals than Aiptasia. Not really anemones at all, despite their common name.

Last edited:

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful hitch hikers BUT...

Mine are huge and spreading everywhere. The biggest one in my tank killed a chalice. I can't put any coral on a particular rock because of them taking that rock over. They extend out far at night to catch food and sting neighboring corals.

I will eventually try and kill them all once I need that rock back. I have smothered a couple in kalk paste but they survived.

Other people haven't had them spread like me which is a shame because they are quite appealing to look at.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine are huge and spreading everywhere. The biggest one in my tank killed a chalice. I can't put any coral on a particular rock because of them taking that rock over. They extend out far at night to catch food and sting neighboring corals.

I will eventually try and kill them all once I need that rock back. I have smothered a couple in kalk paste but they survived.

Other people haven't had them spread like me which is a shame because they are quite appealing to look at.
I’ve only got like three small ones and they’re on a tiny rock I glued to the back of my tank.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to find these in my tanks again! Too bad those of you with too many can’t send me some cheap somehow

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big? Pics please! Wish I could take them from you when you want to get rid of them!

OP
OP
S

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm somewhat relieved these may not be problematic. I'll keep an eye on them. They don't seem to be spreading are are on the small side. They stay in the shadows at the base of my live rock. Will watch. :)

xdcbenoitxd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not actually real anemones and don't sting. They're like mushroom corals. Just found a tiny guy in my tank. They can spread quickly being a mushroom type coral but it depends on your specific aquarium.

xdcbenoitxd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed four of these tonight. They're transparent, and a pretty bluish-green, with white spots, and white balls on the tips of the tentacles. The photo is of one about 1/2" in diameter. I have one that's 1/4" and two that are closer to 1". They are all at the base of my live rock, right about the sand. I don't see them anywhere else in the tank. . . yet. Should I be concerned with these spreading, and is there a way to control these? Do nudibranchs or shrimps eat these like aptasia? I have bubble tip anemones and LPS corals in the tank as well, so need a reef safe solution. Thank you in advance.
DSC01073.JPG
Looks like a ball anemone to me. They're actually related to mushroom corals and will spread as such. Meaning if your tank is nutrient rich they may reproduce quickly or they may not. It depends on your system. Manual removal or using glue or epoxy like mojano works if you don't want them but they are reef safe. If my ID is correct.

jammin2uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one of these little bugger cling on to a green chromise and the fish started swimming in circles. The fish must of died and is no longer visible in my tank, I've looked everywhere for the fish. Its just gone.

jammin2uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what happened to my poor fish from one of these little white things.

Attachments

• VID-20240401-WA0000.mp4
    2.7 MB

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back