Is this bacterial infection?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My velvet demsel is not eating from last 3 days and today it was lying on the bottom when I thought it is no more. Suddenly when I tried to remove it, it started to run and I noticed that it's right side is turning whitish. Sorry for bad pics but it is very hard to catch on camera too. I had removed it from dt as my lionfish is showing little aggression towards it (it is biting it)
IMG-20230616-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0001.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the blemish appear to be an open sore?

Two thoughts that come to mind, aggression from tankmates, or uronema.

Since the lionfish has displayed aggression, keep the damsel in QT to see if it heals. If sign of infection, use antibiotic such as kanaplex.

If it's uronema, really not mush you can do. Unfortunately, death comes rapidly. You will see the wound worsen quickly if that is the culprit.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the blemish appear to be an open sore?

Two thoughts that come to mind, aggression from tankmates, or uronema.

Since the lionfish has displayed aggression, keep the damsel in QT to see if it heals. If sign of infection, use antibiotic such as kanaplex.

If it's uronema, really not mush you can do. Unfortunately, death comes rapidly. You will see the wound worsen quickly if that is the culprit.
unfortunately, i think this wound was there before aggression. I thought it is just an injury(it was small than this). I hv separated both of them. May I try bbs as it is not eating from 3-4 days?

Edit: I forgot to tell that I think that it is constipated too(I saw white long poop sticking through it from few weeks)

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely try it. Anything to get him eating and keep your fingers crossed its not uronema.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, clamped fins are generally not a good sign, although it could be due to injury, illness, stress

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try the BBS - there is certainly a 'wound'. It appears infected. You could consider a hospital tank - with antibiotics.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My velvet demsel is not eating from last 3 days and today it was lying on the bottom when I thought it is no more. Suddenly when I tried to remove it, it started to run and I noticed that it's right side is turning whitish. Sorry for bad pics but it is very hard to catch on camera too. I had removed it from dt as my lionfish is showing little aggression towards it (it is biting it)
IMG-20230616-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0001.jpg
With raised and missing scales, this looks more like uronema which affects a few species with damsels being one of them. Once it begins, it eats its way from the inside out as
Is it normal for fish to keep their fins tightly join?
AQ sign of stress or injury and also associated with flukes which I dont think contributes to this

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG-20230616-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0001.jpg
With raised and missing scales, this looks more like uronema which affects a few species with damsels being one of them. Once it begins, it eats its way from the inside out as uronema is an oval ciliated motile protozoan which causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish. What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With raised and missing scales, this looks more like uronema which affects a few species with damsels being one of them. Once it begins, it eats its way from the inside out as uronema is an oval ciliated motile protozoan which causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish. What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Other fish was only a lionfish. I hv saperated both of them when I saw that marks(I actually thought demsel had died when I found it lying on the bottom of the tank)

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news- Those marks didn't turn red

Bad news- it is just laying and not swimming. It just take the support of rocks and not do anything. It started eating now but not swimming

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has survived 10 days suggesting the infection was not uronema. Can you still see the skin/scale damage?
Yes. That exposed scales can be coz of edema. I know it has edema or some sort of chronic disease. It everytime surprise me by recovering from health issues. May be it is having swimming issues coz of edema?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back