Is this brown algae or dinos?

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i try to scrape it off it disperses like sand. Everything is turning brown, even the substrate and glass. I tried buying a phosphate test buy i could find it here so i’ll try and see if an aquarium store can perform the water tests. The ammonia is at 0.25ppm and salinity at 1024
IMG_3245.jpeg
CAF6873A-95DC-459B-8621-B895BB69E0DC.jpeg FD4FB96C-B7F4-4154-87B3-88822DF59F2B.jpeg

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ^^. The new lighting is doing that. It will fizzle out once the tank stabilized. Although I’m curious why you can detect ammonia after 3-4 months. Have you added bacteria?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ^^. The new lighting is doing that. It will fizzle out once the tank stabilized. Although I’m curious why you can detect ammonia after 3-4 months. Have you added bacteria?
I did but i guess it wasn’t enough. Is it ok to add some more now?

Upvote 0

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a week or two and just see how it plays out. If you’re still detecting ammonia, then I would add some microbacter7 or Dr Tim’s One and Only. Be sure to dose according to the product instructions.

Upvote 0

Prego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i try to scrape it off it disperses like sand. Everything is turning brown, even the substrate and glass. I tried buying a phosphate test buy i could find it here so i’ll try and see if an aquarium store can perform the water tests. The ammonia is at 0.25ppm and salinity at 1024
IMG_3245.jpeg
CAF6873A-95DC-459B-8621-B895BB69E0DC.jpeg FD4FB96C-B7F4-4154-87B3-88822DF59F2B.jpeg
Hi. The same thing is happening to my 45 gallon aquarium, the sand and rocks are turning brown. Have you found any solution to this problem?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. The same thing is happening to my 45 gallon aquarium, the sand and rocks are turning brown. Have you found any solution to this problem?
Still looks brown but i’m pretty sure it’s diatoms so it’s harmless and will go away on its own, but i bought some bacteria yesterday so it improves faster. If you want to differentiate between diatoms and dinoflagellates, the person that i buy corals from - that had dinos in the past - told me to “blow” water near the brown patches to see if it disperses easily or not and if it doesn’t work, try to rub it with your finger or a brush, wait a few minutes to see if it turns brown again or not. If it turns brown again in a couple of minutes it’s probably dinoflagellates but if it doesn’t it’s probably just diatoms. I waited 10 minutes and it didn’t turn brown again so he told me that i should wait for the problem to go away on its own since diatoms are harmless.
If you have dinos, i heard a UV sterilizer is a great way to deal with them, though not all types of dinos can be killed by it, the worst one and to my knowledge the only toxic one - ostreopsis - can.

I was worried i had dinos because i saw some bubbles rising but i read that brown algae can produce oxygen bubbles too.

Upvote 0

Prego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks brown but i’m pretty sure it’s diatoms so it’s harmless and will go away on its own, but i bought some bacteria yesterday so it improves faster. If you want to differentiate between diatoms and dinoflagellates, the person that i buy corals from - that had dinos in the past - told me to “blow” water near the brown patches to see if it disperses easily or not and if it doesn’t work, try to rub it with your finger or a brush, wait a few minutes to see if it turns brown again or not. If it turns brown again in a couple of minutes it’s probably dinoflagellates but if it doesn’t it’s probably just diatoms. I waited 10 minutes and it didn’t turn brown again so he told me that i should wait for the problem to go away on its own since diatoms are harmless.
If you have dinos, i heard a UV sterilizer is a great way to deal with them, though not all types of dinos can be killed by it, the worst one and to my knowledge the only toxic one - ostreopsis - can.

I was worried i had dinos because i saw some bubbles rising but i read that brown algae can produce oxygen bubbles too.
what worries me is that my white anemone that is located in the bottom and some corals also have brown spots already

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what worries me is that my white anemone that is located in the bottom and some corals also have brown spots already
If it gets bad, you can do a blackout for 3 days. I suggest you google about it so you do it right but it helps for sure

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to update you: i added microbe lift special blend once 2 days ago and it’s almost all gone today. I bought this one cause it was the only one available at the store and it was quite cheap too - compared to other bacterias i saw online

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

likely diatoms yes, they are eating the silicates from the dry rock.

mutliple dinos are toxic, only some enter a free swimming stage can can be killed by UV though.

Upvote 0

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back