Is this good flow?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Current eFlux pump 1900gph. Just finished my plumbing and leak testing the system with freshwater. My sump is 20 gallon tall. I’m using 3/4 pipe. Here is a shot of the return flow. I filled sump to brim and it’s taking about 7 mins to get to top of the pump head. No bubbles past the 1st baffle.
IMG_2855.jpeg

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be precise,You can calculate your gph with a chronometer and a ml grade container... kitchen cup etc...

Edit: forget kitchen cup lol, use a bigger container... 1-5gallons bucket etc...

Like this:

Last edited:

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high up is the return above the sump?

Do you have the head vs flow chart available for you pump?

What you’re describing doesn’t seem right for a 1900gph pump unless you’re operating it with either way too big a height to pump up, or have valves somewhere that are partially shut.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a good shake or turn it off and right back on. Could be vapour locked. That’s way too little flow though and seven minutes to prime is nuts. Based on images alone I would suggest about twice that flow rate.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the plumbing. The control box wont live there I havent done my wiring yet this was just for testing. I closed the valve because the one way valve didnt do its job and water was flowing back into the sump. Thats for a different thread ;)

IMG_2856.jpeg

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is 3.5 feet away from the return in the tank. I am using 3/4 inch pipe so its all within spec. Gonna have to figure out what the issue is. I am leaning towards the 1 way valve.

1706464222691.png

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I closed the valve because the one way valve isnt working. Gonna check it to see if that may be an issue too. It didnt close so the water was flowing back into my sump.

Keep the return nozzle out of the water slightly to prevent back siphoning. I would not rely on a check valve. Since the check valve is not working I would look there. If that’s not the issue, pull the pump out and test it free in a bucket of water.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the return nozzle out of the water slightly to prevent back siphoning. I would not rely on a check valve. Since the check valve is not working I would look there. If that’s not the issue, pull the pump out and test it free in a bucket of water.
I didnt want to use one at all but many people convinced me with the height of my return and my sump size I had to run one. Anyway its fixed now and man that water is scooting out!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back