Is this lighting 'idea' possible? Mount light 60" above the tank?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get much input on my last thread so I'm hoping for more advice/help with this one.
My desire is to mount tank single source light 'recessed' in the ceiling to create an 'invisible' source of lighting for the reef. The tank will be a 60" diameter by 20" tall shallow cylinder. The ceiling is 60" above the water surface. I'm wanting to get close to 400+ par just below the water surface for my anemones and SPS with around 200+ par at the sand bed for clams.
My original plan was to use a single Orphek Amazonas 960 but I've learned that at this mounting height, it won't likely put out the PAR I am wanting.
I also thought maybe the Kessil A500X's but I don't think those would have to be mounted much lower to put out the PAR I need, and I would need several to cover the 60" diameter.
I've just recently researched the Maxspect Commercial LED floodlight, but the lack of color spectrum control has me pausing, but it should put out the PAR I am needing.
Does anyone know of any other option? Should I just skip this idea and go with lower mounted, more conventional lighting, like Radions, Kessil's, etc..?
I'd love to hear other options from those with the experience/knowledge.
Thanks!
Illustration not to scale, just to give an idea of what I'm thinking:
cylinder tank illustration 3.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out their stuff. They make commercial floodlights for aquariums and museum applications and sell several 'reef spectrum' lights. Not sure what the quality will look like, but they'll definitely have the punch you need.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My desire is to mount tank single source light 'recessed' in the ceiling to create an 'invisible' source of lighting for the reef. The tank will be a 60" diameter by 20" tall shallow cylinder. The ceiling is 60" above the water surface. I'm wanting to get close to 400+ par

So if I read it correctly light is 60" above surface (water line) and the display is another 60" tall? So 120" total? Here is a tank similar to what you are considering. First couple of minutes should give you information on their lighting.

BTW Kessil a500 allows the use of a narrow lens and it is included with this model.

Edit: the video needs some context. Owner is of the opinion that keeping a reef requires a lot of fish poo. Part of his story is that he takes on fish that others would kill due to deformities. He keeps them in and provides them with care, food, and in turn they live respectfully decent lives while doing what he needs - pooping.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you could get 60 degree reflectors on a reefi uno pro 2. Contact Daniel the owner of Reefi and he can confirm if that’ll work.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I read it correctly light is 60" above surface (water line) and the display is another 60" tall? So 120" total? Here is a tank similar to what you are considering. First couple of minutes should give you information on their lighting.

BTW Kessil a500 allows the use of a narrow lens and it is included with this model.

Edit: the video needs some context. Owner is of the opinion that keeping a reef requires a lot of fish poo. Part of his story is that he takes on fish that others would kill due to deformities. He keeps them in and provides them with care, food, and in turn they live respectfully decent lives while doing what he needs - pooping.

No, the tank is 20" tall. 60" in diameter.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the tank is 20" tall. 60" in diameter.
Did you contact Orphek?
They have these beasts..

Dimensions

Diameter: 17.5″ (445mm)
Height: 10.8″ (275mm)
Weight
Light Unit Weight: 33 lbs (15kg)
Power Supply Weight: 11 lbs (5kg)
Yea I don't see any color tuning but believe you could build a good spectrum.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you contact Orphek?
They have these beasts..

But at the end of the day one always has to ask how much light is really necessary...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just skip this idea and go with lower mounted, more conventional lighting, like Radions, Kessil's, etc..?

Really depends on the $$'s you want to spend and overall coverage.
Like I mentioned in the last tread you probably can have a fair area of the targeted par with the 30 degree Orphek.
Just physically won't cover the whole surface area.
43" dia circle at the floor (80"). Soo more of an "island" style tank.
Now to fulfill "the dream" at money is no option, 4 30 degree 960's in a square pattern about 20" on center spread..
You could probably grow corn.. :)

Rough idea, circle is the tank. Squared the diode spread at the surface (60") rest is self explanatory.
cost used to be about 4k for 4. not sure about current prices but believe it is quite a bit more. Shouldn't really pay mor than 3-4$/watt in "my" opinion.

There are smaller "like" units where you give up channel control but those used to be a lot cheaper..
It should keep you around $1-2K

Think about what it would take to light a 60x60 square tank. 12 small lights each covering 18" x 18"
3600 sq in vs
2827 sq in

Anyways I was bored.. :)
60'cylanderaq.JPG

Orphek could (or should be able) to add more precision to this.

You could probably tightly pack 4 Kessils with the narrow lenses.

Plus lenses, and one more light.. $2k-ish.Only 360 watts total.

I also would love to see a reasonable solution, just out of curiosity..;)

Actually you could go with one 960 and 4 "satellite" smaller single "color" narrow lensed lights in a "dice' like pattern.
Cost probably around 3.5K total.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can it be done. . . probably. I image lenses would be a big component/factor. Can it be done with comercially available reef lighting. . . NO IDEA! That said:

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the $$'s you want to spend and overall coverage.
Like I mentioned in the last tread you probably can have a fair area of the targeted par with the 30 degree Orphek.
Just physically won't cover the whole surface area.
43" dia circle at the floor (80"). Soo more of an "island" style tank.
Now to fulfill "the dream" at money is no option, 4 30 degree 960's in a square pattern about 20" on center spread..
You could probably grow corn.. :)

Rough idea, circle is the tank. Squared the diode spread at the surface (60") rest is self explanatory.
cost used to be about 4k for 4. not sure about current prices but believe it is quite a bit more. Shouldn't really pay mor than 3-4$/watt in "my" opinion.

There are smaller "like" units where you give up channel control but those used to be a lot cheaper..
It should keep you around $1-2K

Think about what it would take to light a 60x60 square tank. 12 small lights each covering 18" x 18"
3600 sq in vs
2827 sq in

Anyways I was bored.. :)
60'cylanderaq.JPG

Orphek could (or should be able) to add more precision to this.

You could probably tightly pack 4 Kessils with the narrow lenses.

Plus lenses, and one more light.. $2k-ish.Only 360 watts total.

I also would love to see a reasonable solution, just out of curiosity..;)

Actually you could go with one 960 and 4 "satellite" smaller single "color" narrow lensed lights in a "dice' like pattern.
Cost probably around 3.5K total.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this detailed reply and the illustration!!!
Orphek provided the below illustration/graph when asked if a single Amazonas 960 could adequately illuminate the tank.
With the 60 degree optix, per the numbers below, its par output at only 36" high, averages only 175 PAR dead center of the tank. I would assume it would be half that at 60".
Orphek recommended I could go with the 30-degree optics to almost double the PAR at the expense of spread. The 30-degree optics cuts spread down to 48" of usable light.
Orphek 960 PAR spread graph.png

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you contact Orphek?
They have these beasts..

Thank you for the recommendation! I contacted Orphek about the 500 watt LED and it certainly has the punch in terms of PAR, but unfortunately, this unit does not have spectrum control/wifi control. You can control intensity via separate "dimming drivers where you can dim the lights with an PWM (pulse wave modulation)."
I really want full spectrum and timing programmability via wifi or a nice controller like my Kessils have.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this detailed reply and the illustration!!!
Orphek provided the below illustration/graph when asked if a single Amazonas 960 could adequately illuminate the tank.
With the 60 degree optix, per the numbers below, its par output at only 36" high, averages only 175 PAR dead center of the tank. I would assume it would be half that at 60".
Orphek recommended I could go with the 30-degree optics to almost double the PAR at the expense of spread. The 30-degree optics cuts spread down to 48" of usable light.
Orphek 960 PAR spread graph.png
Yea currently I cannot see any 1 light solution. Now one 30 degree 960 and 4 "satellites" that is about the only possibility.
Did they mention the current cost of the 960?

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be done. . . probably. I image lenses would be a big component/factor. Can it be done with comercially available reef lighting. . . NO IDEA! That said:

Thank you for the link to the Cannon Pro's! I'm researching them now.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea currently I cannot see any 1 light solution. Now one 30 degree 960 and 4 "satellites" that is about the only possibility.
Did they mention the current cost of the 960?
Around $1K shipped for a single 960. I think that's a great price.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back