Is this normal

Foxface123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I have a 75g tank been running for almost a year yesterday I had a foxface die randomly I added a blue tang who was being bullied by 2 damsels in an effort to restore balance to the tank I removed the rock work and fished the two damsels out as they were picking on other fish too since putting the rock work back in and topping up the tank with 5g more water I now have 3 very unhappy fish 1 sail fin tang in the corner along with 2 sergeant majors who are all now in the same corner and the 2 majors look to have white patches on around their mouths and seem to be acting a little erratically

I have tested all parameters are nearly perfect KH is a little high but it has been much high in the past no issues is this normal behaviour and appearance?

IMG_2118.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you have 2 sergeant majors, a sailing tang and a blue tang in the tank now? How is the blue tang doing?
The water appears a little milky in the photo. Is that accurate?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi so I have a 75g tank been running for almost a year yesterday I had a foxface die randomly I added a blue tang who was being bullied by 2 damsels in an effort to restore balance to the tank I removed the rock work and fished the two damsels out as they were picking on other fish too since putting the rock work back in and topping up the tank with 5g more water I now have 3 very unhappy fish 1 sail fin tang in the corner along with 2 sergeant majors who are all now in the same corner and the 2 majors look to have white patches on around their mouths and seem to be acting a little erratically

I have tested all parameters are nearly perfect KH is a little high but it has been much high in the past no issues is this normal behaviour and appearance?

IMG_2118.jpeg
The white patches may have stemmed from getting startled and darting while the other two were being captured. The fish are likely scared or unsure after this episode. Keep lights down a little an assure ammonia and nitrate have not climbed during capture process. KH has impact on coral - not so much fish.
How are you testing the water?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Foxface123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white patches may have stemmed from getting startled and darting while the other two were being captured. The fish are likely scared or unsure after this episode. Keep lights down a little an assure ammonia and nitrate have not climbed during capture process. KH has impact on coral - not so much fish.
How are you testing the water?
Hi, so I’m Testing with a salifert test kit, seems the white patches have gone as of this morning

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Foxface123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you have 2 sergeant majors, a sailing tang and a blue tang in the tank now? How is the blue tang doing?
The water appears a little milky in the photo. Is that accurate?
Hi, I think it’s just the reflection from my ceiling light against the glass, and blue tang is doing okay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, so I’m Testing with a salifert test kit, seems the white patches have gone as of this morning
As mentioned -stress from activity that occurred with capture of other two

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back