Is this PMD? Help me

gianfranco_bove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tridacna is sick of pinched mantle?
Thanks for your help!

3ae47f4a-6907-42b7-9dd5-ff4d3069a179.JPG 7b3da3df-cd3e-4f6f-857d-81716ae3ac75.JPG

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can be PMD. History is needed. Also that clam is in a bad shape and have not grow for a while.

OP
OP
G

gianfranco_bove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the tank for about a year but about a month ago I started to see the cloak pinched on one point and after a few days on another. Since the appearance of the problem I have seen improvements on the first point where the mantle seems to improve.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not PMD. This disease does not occur de novo in tanks. Sick clam must be exposed to this disease by contact with other sick clam.

OP
OP
G

gianfranco_bove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, no new growth and could be water quality issue compounded by low light.
If it had been a lighting problem wouldn't he have had any problems right away? It's been in the tank for about a year and I started noticing the problem about a month ago.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light starvation is usually not a fast process, slowly deteriorating the clam's health.
The sand bed is not an ideal place for a maxima clam, do you know how much par the clam is getting? Is there a chance to move it up higher near the light?

OP
OP
G

gianfranco_bove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light starvation is usually not a fast process, slowly deteriorating the clam's health.
The sand bed is not an ideal place for a maxima clam, do you know how much par the clam is getting? Is there a chance to move it up higher near the light?
Unfortunately I don't know what kind of light intensity affects the clam, but I can tell you that until it had this problem there had been a lot of growth on the shell. Shouldn't low brightness also lead to color loss? Forgive me for the questions but this is my first clam. I have a Ate straton pro for lighting.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starvation can happen over a long period of time. The amount of light may be at the threshold of the clam’s minimum requirements for healthy growth and as it grows, it requires more energy (light) to sustain itself. On the reef, there is more energy than the clam needs and it can self regulate the amount of light it needs/requires. There’s never a shortage of light energy on the reef, there’s always a surplus (generally speaking). If a clam happens to settle below its minimum requirements in the wild, they simply don’t survive. That’s why certain species only exist at certain depths. But if you provide the bare minimum, then something happens to the clam like poor water quality, lack of nitrogen or something that compromises the clam’s health in any way, that can be the catalyst that pushes it to the other side.
Maxima prefers a solid surface, but sand is fine, as long as it gets enough light energy.

OP
OP
G

gianfranco_bove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starvation can happen over a long period of time. The amount of light may be at the threshold of the clam’s minimum requirements for healthy growth and as it grows, it requires more energy (light) to sustain itself. On the reef, there is more energy than the clam needs and it can self regulate the amount of light it needs/requires. There’s never a shortage of light energy on the reef, there’s always a surplus (generally speaking). If a clam happens to settle below its minimum requirements in the wild, they simply don’t survive. That’s why certain species only exist at certain depths. But if you provide the bare minimum, then something happens to the clam like poor water quality, lack of nitrogen or something that compromises the clam’s health in any way, that can be the catalyst that pushes it to the other side.
Maxima prefers a solid surface, but sand is fine, as long as it gets enough light energy.
Really comprehensive explanation. Many thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back