Is this PMD?

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired this noea clam about a week ago, it was healthy when it first came into the tank, but yesterday I noticed that its mantle had turned like this. I've been checking on him every day for a week and there are no snails or any anemones to sting him.
My water parameters are N 5 P 0 KH8.7 PH8.3. and it's in a position where the T5H0 light mixed with LED is 510 par with 12 hours of light per day.
Should I treat him with RODI water while he is still strong?
Thank you all!
IMG_5464(20240427-183727).JPG
IMG_5465(20240427-183728).JPG

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question as that derasa next to it seems happy/extended …I’m guessing the flow is right
Though next to him is a squamosa,I got it from Palau. Does it seem like I should watch it for a few more days, and then I'll put him into RODI water when this part of its mantle shrivels up a bit more

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks advocate freshwater dip for PMD, I tried recently and it didn’t work for me, so I’d best defer to more knowledgeable clam experts, and there are many here

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks advocate freshwater dip for PMD, I tried recently and it didn’t work for me, so I’d best defer to more knowledgeable clam experts, and there are many here
That's what I was thinking, trying to reach out to the experts in this forum. But first I want to make sure it's PMD before I take action. In case the RODI water doesn't work, I'm going to try using dihydroartemisinin, which I've heard protects against many species of protozoa.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would keep an eye on it and see if it progresses. If it gets worse over the next couple days or more, then it may be pmd? Being that your other clams are so close to each other, I would keep an eye on them as well.

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on it and see if it progresses. If it gets worse over the next couple days or more, then it may be pmd? Being that your other clams are so close to each other, I would keep an eye on them as well.
I have another question, I had seen you mention that these photosynthetic organisms that live on the reef their first source of nitrogen is ammonia, so what is the form of phosphorus that they are most likely to take up?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have another question, I had seen you mention that these photosynthetic organisms that live on the reef their first source of nitrogen is ammonia, so what is the form of phosphorus that they are most likely to take up?
There’s research that shows the mantle (outer mantle) can absorb inorganic phosphate directly from water during photosynthesis. Phosphate can also come from particulate food they consume.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see stringy slime coming from that area along with this mantle contraction I would say yes it's PMD. If not, I would hold off on the fw dip and monitor. Sometimes clams are odd and do odd things especially a new arrival.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMD is only one of the many conditions that cause mantle irritation. Just because your clam has retracted mantle does not mean that it has PMD. The picture is not typical of PMD. PMD retraction curve upward, not downward, less in AM and worse in PM. PMD worsen as the infection spread.
The T. noae picture above has retracted most typical of something irritated or injure it's mantle.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2001maxima1-jpg.1234441

2001gigas-jpg.1234440

In the two pictures above, the Blue Maxima in the first picture and the blue Crocea in the second picture clearly show the typical retraction of PMD, which is upward curving of the retracted mantle.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back