Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this bad a few fish have this know

IMG_0142.jpg
That looks very serious, it could be bacterial or it could be Uronema. If other fish are showing the same symptoms, we need to jump on this quickly, but need more history about the tank and its fish. This post explains all that:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks very serious, it could be bacterial or it could be Uronema. If other fish are showing the same symptoms, we need to jump on this quickly, but need more history about the tank and its fish. This post explains all that:

Jay
@Jay Hemdal. -if multiple fish have it - does that mitigate more towards uronema?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal. -if multiple fish have it - does that mitigate more towards uronema?

IMO, if fish with different histories all show the same lesions, it is less likely to be Uronema. We see so many times that say, a green chromis shows with Uronema and dies, but it ends there. Rarely do other fish in the same tank then show with Uronema, unless they are the same species, acquired at the same time.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, if fish with different histories all show the same lesions, it is less likely to be Uronema. We see so many times that say, a green chromis shows with Uronema and dies, but it ends there. Rarely do other fish in the same tank then show with Uronema, unless they are the same species, acquired at the same time.

Jay
Interesting - which bacteria are 'contagious' - I have seen this with my discus as well - however, it's been when the water quality was 'poor' when I had left out of town.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - which bacteria are 'contagious' - I have seen this with my discus as well - however, it's been when the water quality was 'poor' when I had left out of town.
Almost all bacteria that infect fish are already in their environment. They aren’t contagious in the classical sense, but the same environmental issues that bring on an infection in one fish can do the same in other fish in that tank.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back