Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris Care Help!!

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it grow on the sandbed or do I need to put it on a rock that it can encrust on?

Sandbed is fine as long as you do not have anything that will bury it or try to steal it, like a pistol shrimp or sand sifting goby that might spit some sand on it.

stacy_vennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but how are yall getting good pictures? I try to take pictures of mine but cant capture the colors and beauty of mine.

stacy_vennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pic was taken with an iPhone6 using the auto zoom right above the water surface with zero flow in the tank.
Thank you. I will try that tomorrow. Mine was given to me by a friend that was downsizing his tank and getting ready to move back to Nola. They are real pretty and I was show it off but cant get a good pic. I have an Samsung galaxy s6 edge plus.

Adam WIlt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160628_215102[1].jpg I have 2 leptoseris. The green one I have had for a few months and has grown considerably. It is around 15 inches from the light medium flow. The Jack-o-Lantern, I have had only for a few days and I am putting it in the same type of conditions
. 20160628_215055[1].jpg

55 gallon reef tank
20 gallon refugium
LED lighting

SteadyAim.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also picked one of these frags up. Under medium flow and near the bottom of the tank. Hopefully she grows fast!

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine low flow low light....grows faster than any lips I have....never even fed it

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine low flow low light....grows faster than any lips I have....never even fed it
This is great, mine is completely opposite, top of tank at 500 par and smack in the middle of 2 mp40s and happy as can be. Goes to show everything grows different.

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, mine is completely opposite, top of tank at 500 par and smack in the middle of 2 mp40s and happy as can be. Goes to show everything grows different.

That's pretty amazing actually because it really proves that no 2 tanks are the same and these corals are adapting to captivity better then we can imagine...I cant wait till it fully encrusts a whole piece of live rock for me!!!!

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is on the sandbed, 12" from top of water in low-moderate flow. Got it 2 weeks ago and it's looking good so far. One of the eyes definitely grabbed a small piece of mysis the other day. My camera wasn't charged though so I couldn't get a good picture/video. I will try again soon.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is up high with all the acropora, so high light and wicked flow. It's the fastest growing coral in my tank.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for an order I placed yesterday from Cornbred. I bought a frag of his version of this coral so I was trying to make sense outta this thread where everyone's doing it diff and reporting good results. The guy from Cornbred said to place it on the sand bed and under low flow.
86ee45d84aa43065778e686bf436dd68.jpg

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that so many people have such success with a wide range of conditions because this coral is pretty adaptive. I used to have mine way up high in my tank as I posted back in July. Since then, I've moved homes and now it is just above my sandbed on its rock, just the way I arranged my rocks when I reassembled my tank. My point is, it's flourishing and doing just as well as when I had it high up. Again, a seemingly adaptive coral.

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add a little to this. I dipped my JoL before adding it to the QT and again before adding it to the DT. The coral loses color quick (which was a bit of a shock), but after about two hours back in the tank it colors up just as bright as before. They seem to be fairly hardy.

I have had mine in low light and low flow with very little growth.

Now that it is in the DT, I will be moving it to a more moderate flow/lighting position to see how it fares.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an LPS coral. I've been keeping it under LEDs with great success. Mid-way up the tank (about 12-14 inches from the LEDS) with moderate flow and I'm seeing good growth. I don't do any direct feeding, but I do use AZOX 2-3 times a week.

EDIT: I was wrong. Is a LPS not a SPS Coral
At first I thought these were SPS until I saw mine fl0pping around in the current. Definitely an LPS and not as tricky to keep as SPS.

IMG_7635.JPG

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the best luck in my tank keeping it in lower light. I've seen one of the local guys keeping it on top of the rocks with WDs and whatnot. It seems to be very flexible.

Back