OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnd my royal gramma has also gone missing.

Pulled a cup (squeezed out water) of green hair algae today from rocks….i am losing patience with the ATS, and considering fluconazole treatment as a reset, with the ATS placed in my acclimation tank during treatment. The ats screen is currently struggling.

I also had a 1-2” snail, that was described in a separate thread as a tulip snail. That one went into my acclimation tank. I don’t even want it in my sump because I have plenty of things living there including snails.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RG found. Must have changed locations since his nemesis foxface jumped. Havent seen it in a week though. Nighttime flash photo.
IMG_0402.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a tough time with in-tank gha, and my ATS is barely growing algae. Algae is growing great in tank.

I have the return pump at its minimum setting (sicce sdc 9, probably at around 1000 gph, maybe a little less), could my issue be that I am not getting enough circulation through the sump, and the ats is mostly cleaning sump water and not display water?

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update. I have been travelling and have been away for two of the last three weeks. Came home to an RTN’d bali slimer and montipora dig. My royal gramma is missing for good, and algae was knee deep in the tank. My remaining new wrasse died in QT from UWND (swimming in circles and upside down with no other visible signs).

I cleaned up the tank (pulled the algae while siphoning into a filter sock in the sump). Got almost 4 cups squeezed out in my filter sock.

My aquarium maintenance guy who I have stop in for a checkup while I am away says I should use Vibrant reef to just restart. I am more in favor of getting the ats working right, but the only place in my system where hair algae won’t grow is the ats!?!?!?!? Even the bottom of the ats is seeing better growth than the screen.

Conclusions

corals: most corals are doing well despite the gha mess. I’ll stick with them. The new hammer and goni look fine. Cyphastrea, stylophora, styloconiella, leptastrea, chalice, trumpets, birdsnest, psammocora, leptoseris, favias, and two acros seem to be holding their own of they aren’t growing well. So I am not worrying about the corals, lets see where things are at the end of the uglies-whenever that is. What grows will grow.

Fish: I am sticking with hardy fish. I’ll probably add some lemon damsels from ora and I am thinking about adding a few chalk bass. They all are pretty enough and should provide good movement.

Algae: I still have some faith that the ats will eventually win out as the tank matures. I am feeding pellets while away which is likely adding to my problem. I am getting good at siphoning the algae though. Saw the Tomini nibbling on some algae. Hopefully that is a good sign. I cut back the ats lights a bit to see if I can cut back on the photoinhibition.

Increase water changes: my ro unit needed new filters, so that may help.

Bottom line is I need to keep the tank stable but shouldn’t change anything for a while to hopefully achieve some form of equilibrium. Tank is less than a year old. I have plenty of livestock and don’t need to add anything new at this point.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 144 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back