Just getting started - environment and tank size

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just starting back into the hobby. Been reading everything I can find over the past month or so and ready to start asking opinions to make some decisions. I'll be installing in the wall with 72" max width. Originally planned on 48" a few years ago but after research and canvassing LFS 48 is not worth the investment, way to limited for what I ultimately want.

1. Long term target is reef but due to total investment costs and education level required to successfully maintain a reef I plant to start FOWLR and evolve over time, maybe a year or so to full reef. Working on selecting desired life in the final system long term to avoid problems down the road. Anyone evolved from FOWLR to full reef?
  2. Tank size - looking at both 210g 72x24x29 and maybe a 300g 72x36x27. Bigger is better but the premium for the 300g is about 60% price increase for the tank alone not to mention all the other equipment. The question: is 24" wide enough for most set-ups? Pro's and con's of the 24" & 36". I've got a 55g I plan to use for the sump and maybe 30g for refugium but that's another thread on its own.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going with a 55g for a sump i think your messing up right there a 210 or 300g with a 55g sump it just sounds wrong. Also a skimmer for that tank wont even fit in a 55 with a return and baffles.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just starting back into the hobby. Been reading everything I can find over the past month or so and ready to start asking opinions to make some decisions. I'll be installing in the wall with 72" max width. Originally planned on 48" a few years ago but after research and canvassing LFS 48 is not worth the investment, way to limited for what I ultimately want.

1. Long term target is reef but due to total investment costs and education level required to successfully maintain a reef I plant to start FOWLR and evolve over time, maybe a year or so to full reef. Working on selecting desired life in the final system long term to avoid problems down the road. Anyone evolved from FOWLR to full reef?
  2. Tank size - looking at both 210g 72x24x29 and maybe a 300g 72x36x27. Bigger is better but the premium for the 300g is about 60% price increase for the tank alone not to mention all the other equipment. The question: is 24" wide enough for most set-ups? Pro's and con's of the 24" & 36". I've got a 55g I plan to use for the sump and maybe 30g for refugium but that's another thread on its own.

Good planning on evolving from FOWLR to a reef. I came into the same way, but glad you have your head on straight :)

As for depth, I'm currently at 24" and I do like it. I've never had a tank thats 36" deep, but I've always wanted one. I want the fish to have the ability to swim in different directions than just left to right, haha.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the 24 depths or 36 depth is personal preference. What do YOU like, one isnt more successful over the other. It’s all up to you on that. I would personally say 24 though Here is my reasoning.

1) My hand goes in a lot would I want to stick it in 36 inches or 24 24 is a lot more manageable.
2) Lighting will be easier 24 a 250w would be fine a 36 a 400w MH would be needed if you want to keep sps clams and such at the bottom.
3) I just personly like 24 36 looks like a tower.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would start with a much smaller tank. It is less expensive to set up, and easier to manage. When I started my first tank six months ago, all I had in it for the first month was some sand and a couple pieces of lr. After that first month, I added a fish, and a week later, some candy cane coral. Keep in mind, I was running on two HOB filters and no protein skimmer. My lighting wasnt enough for a ten gallon reef, but dont freak out, I upgraded a couple months ago. I got my first and only (so far) sump a few days ago, along with my first protein skimmer. The bottom line is that you should always start small rather than have your first tank be wall to wall when you just started the hobby.

Six months ago:
47ea9a4b-7f95-b531.jpg

Now:
47ea9a4b-7fbd-e4a1.jpg
47ea9a4b-7fce-b873.jpg
47ea9a4b-7fd8-b2d8.jpg
47ea9a4b-7fe9-be1d.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right managing a 300G tank is a job in its self to jump right into one might be a little hard to do.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, making 300 gallons of saltwater sounds almost impossible. I make saltwater five gallons at a time, you would probably need a small tank/larger container to make saltwater in, plus at least $100 in salt. But if I had the money, I definitely would have gone with a 90 or 180 gallon tank, it gets harder and harder to manage the tank as the size increases.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wanting opnions, here is mine. I would go with the 300g, yes the start up cost are more, and yes it will be a little harder to maintain, but you have got ALOT more room to have livestock and corals. I have a 210 at my work and my friend has a 300g, the depth( front to back) looks amazing. It adds a whole new dimension to his tank. It also will make aquascaping easier. I would only go this route if I was willing to put in the time and the money, both of which you will need plenty of. Dont skimp on the skimmer either, get a good one or be sorry down the road.

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 24 vs 36 I was meaning width of the tank not depth.

I understand the concern with starting up a larger system but I did have the 55g FO salt for about 5 years and have already gone through some of the early mistakes. After you get a routine in place it really wasn't that hard to maintain and at this stage I do have the time to devote to the system or I wouldn't be getting started again. Will there be more, yes, we all have them. This time around I'm a bit more patient and have the advantage of the forums that weren't around 20 years ago. I am planning to evolve into the reef so my education and experience will grow as the system evolves. I'm anticipating 1-2 years before I have the system where I want it.

Interesting comments on the sump size. I've got the 55g 48x12x22 that I was planning to use. I haven't gotten indepth into skimmer design/selection but sounds like I need to look into this sooner rather than later. Sounds like a candidate for a new thread to separate topics. Is it best to separate skimmer discussions into a separate thread to make searches easier for the community? I'm new at this forum stuff, may have some strange ideas, advise is appreciated.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a Tank That "You" want to keep, and obviously, the more water volume the better. I would also choose what equipment you want first and build or buy a sump around your needs. 55g tanks really aren't practical to house equipment IMO bc they are narrow, not saying it won't work though. "If" you go with a 300g Display tank, the skimmer you will need probably won't fit, and the water level in the 55g sump will have to be low to accommodate the water from the DT once power is cut from the return pump.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shallower and more more floor space i feel is a better way to go for a reef tank, now with a fish only tank a taller tank i feel is better. i think in the long run its best to get what tank you like mose. just do good recon so you will know the cost differences in the equipment needed for different tanks

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 210g or 300g what is an ideal sized sump? Sounds like another piece of equipment to add to the list.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think a tanks width is whats crucial. I really wish i would have went 30 instead of 24 my tank height is 20 inches which i went so i could get a better par value. I love tanks with depth when your looking into the tank there is so much more to look at. and it really makes the aquascaping a lot more fun. I wish I could get a 200 plus gallon tank but def not in my budget.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you wanted opinions so here is mine. If you are going glass forget the 210 and go 180, same 72L same 24W but is 24H instead of 29H. Whats the point? You can go with MUCH cheaper to run lighting, at 24H you have multiple options where 29H you are basically stuck with MH if you want any high light corals close to the bottom. This will not only save you on start up costs but in month to month bills which in turns frees up money for other pieces of equipment you will need as you advance from FO clear to mixxed or SPS reef.

If you are thinking acrylic I would say go 220, it is a bit harder to find but is AWESOME reef dimensions of 72L 30W 26H. Works great for in wall and stand alone.

For a sump go with a 75g you can find them all over everywhere from local papers to craigslist for less than 100 bucks. they have tons of room for the price and if you decide to go with a remote DSB fuge also look around for a 40B another cheap used tank with great dimensions.

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gread advise - the 24 height makes a lot more sense looking at the overall picture. Don't really want to go MH unless absolutely required - to many other problems and $ energy costs. What kind of width is more appropriate for the sump - 18 or 24 to make sure the skimmer will fit. I looked at a couple skimmers any you're right they won't fit into a 12" wide tank. For the acrylic I think the $ saved with a glass tank would pay more returns in other equipment.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a 75 gal minimum for a sump. You might have to have a custom sump built though due to alot of larger tanks are a bit high to be used as sumps.

KyleP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 is a huge investment. If somethings wrong, you'll be at a huge loss and probably be out of the hobby for good.

re-fin-away

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a 75 gal minimum for a sump. You might have to have a custom sump built though due to alot of larger tanks are a bit high to be used as sumps.

I agree with dougers. You might have to build it yourself. You can pick up some glass or acrylic and DIY. There are losts for sump designs out there and you can make it to suit your needs.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the 40 breeder as a sump if you don't build a custom one or have someone build it for you. Dimensions are more than sufficient to allow for an adaquet skimmer for a 210.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back