Just give your thoughts on this "Please"

Old Man Of The Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You who might offer your thoughts on this little issue or further update on a project for SPS corals QT. I had more views or suggestions when I needed to find myself other skimmers or ballast and when the project I seen had to change to a new direction because I not could use the 40 gal breeder as its now setup for a SPS QT.

My first thoughts where to setup a second QT just for corals and leave the 40 to FO>

This thought had taking me in a twist of tank sizes for first i was to either go with a 60-65 gal QT for SPS corals and then the thought took me to a 90 and following that a 120 (4x2x2)

Now yes, even a 65 gal tank would done nicely for this or even a 90. But when the thoughts I had is that I rather have as larger a tank I could get for much later this system would become a major tank itself. My idea is this for now, I am to soon get in a 150 gal tank as a QT for SPS corals. I a ER skimmer here for it as well as a 1/4HP chiller and all I need to do this was the tank and two other tanks for the sump and top off and the tank and canopy is being build for this, the canopy will be 16" tall.

Now many know of the bad luck I had in who was the right person I can have to do my tanks for me being that I can no longer myself do these things, but in short, the person I was paying for this had done a half @ job of it.

SO now my other thoughts is this, Because now i paid to do this 150 QT a cost of $2,300 that I can right now put nothing more into this until after the holidays, after the start of the new year. And being that this tank with have no LR or sandbed, other then the LR pieces that can fit into the sump and if any medications be required for corals then it would be easy for me to remove the LR from this sump and place in a Rubbermaid container with a powerhead and air pump and stone.

Also the other thing im to do here is take the lights off the 240 reef tank and put them on the 150>

As is in now doing things this way, the 240 will be much longer in making ready to keep SPS corals for there be much work that need to be completed on it. And it will be slow coming because i will now be needing after the start of the new year to get money together for the new 250 watt MH for the 180.

The lights again that are on the 240 are 175 watt MH and these with the VHO on the 240 will go on the 150. I know that I will be limited not to place any SPS corals that require stronger lighting then this low in this 150, I will be getting eggcrate and to make a shelf of it more then half way high in the tank and the 150 is 29" deep. Im figuring that being its a six foot 150 gal tank that even if im to have just one level to where the corals will rest at for a two month period that I still will have plenty of space to do this. And if need be that at some later date that it becomes necessary, that then i would look to get 250 watt MH as well on this 150. also this 150 will be needed for a long period of time.

With saying all that, I in mind as well to do this in the years to come> That once the 180 and 240 reef tanks are completely stocked that I would then turn this 150 into a main reef tank and prior before this I would change the 40 gal breeder tank all together and upgrade it to a 55 or 65 with the type of setup I originally wanted for keeping SPS corals and fish.

The 150 gal tank, in the way this came about is that I gone out to Down Under all the way out on I-40 at exit number 306 and in the back room the owner had a used 150 gal tank and I gotten this tank for $300. I just didn't like the stand it had in more ways then one, color and in the method it was build.

So what im more of looking for here is thoughts on the lighting I will now have on the 150 and that I will have the eggcreate shelf build to a height about 12" below the water line. Thanks

Buddy

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back