Just got a refractometer...OMG!

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new refractometer from BRS came in, so I calibrated it and checked my S.G. OMG!!! I thought I had things under control because I have a friend with a refractometer which I checked against my hydrometer. It showed that my Hmeter was off a bit so I was able to compensate for it based on his "accurate" Rmeter reading. When I checked today my actual S.G is 1.030. So, how bad is that and how fast can I get it down to 1.026 where I want it? I know it isn't terrible as my animals seem pretty good with it, what few corals I have are doing well and even growing a bit. It was just a bit of a shock as I thought it would be dead on.
Could it be contributing to my diatom problem? I added the first Tampa Bay live rock in mid Nov to fully bio-cycled Reef Saver rock so it's about two-two and a half mo. along, and still having diatom issues.
Thanks,

Kacey

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let your top off water lower your salinity. You can do this by wet skimming if normal replacement is not quick enough. I would go down 0.001 per day to be safe

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't drop it too fast since your inhabitants are doing okay, as you say - you don't want to shock them.

Keep your maintenance routine the same, and I wouldn't recommend messing with your ATO or anything. Just remove some saltwater daily with a large cup or something and replace it with R/O until your salinity get's where you want it

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you make any changes, are you sure that your refrac is calibrated correctly? Did you try to calibrate a second or third time? What calibration fluid are you using? Some are better than others.
It is a new meter and I had just calibrated it. I didn't re-calibrate it immediately but will go through the process again today. It was a BRS meter and I used the calibration fluid they sent with the meter.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congratulations on your purchase!

@Rybren asked, but I'll ask again....did you use RO/DI water or a specific calibration solution to calibrate your refractometer? Some refractometer instructions mistakenly tell you to use RO/DI water.

EDIT TO ADD:
While I was typing, you answered my question. You're good to go.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congratulations on your purchase!

@Rybren asked, but I'll ask again....did you use RO/DI water or a specific calibration solution to calibrate your refractometer? Some refractometer instructions mistakenly tell you to use RO/DI water.

EDIT TO ADD:
While I was typing, you answered my question. You're good to go.
I edited the previous reply to include the answer to your question. It was BRS calibration fluid.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Pfft. Got myself the new fangled Hannah salinity checker and never looked back.

Got super tired of recalibrating my refractometer after each use.

Best $70 I ever spent in the hobby so far

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs did a investigation on salinity and coral growth. They found high levels of salinty contributed to faster growth. So dont freak out too much. Use your top off water to bring it down. Even then mine is usally 1.026.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me I need to get some more calibration fliud soon. Getting low.

If you have a kitchen scale, you can make your own for pennies....and have a life-time supply for you and all your friends.

Mix 36.5g NaCl + 963.5g RODI H2O to make 35ppt solution. That's using regular old Morton's Iodized Salt.

HERE's the article from Randy.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a kitchen scale, you can make your own for pennies....and have a life-time supply for you and all your friends.

Mix 36.5g NaCl + 963,5g RODI H2O to make 35ppt solution. That's using regular old Morton's Iodized Salt.

HERE's the article from Randy.

Thanks @redfishbluefish, I might just give that a try!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call all your friends and give them a sample because this makes a liter of solution, which will last until the end of time. :eek::D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You want to drop it gradually.
The specimens in the tank have adapted to the high salinity as it went up. Likewise, you want to reverse the process and bring it down in the same fashion- Gradually. I have encountered the same issue and had to be patient. Because everything was behaving normally, it was hard to tell.
Im sure you visit LFS regularly whether it is for fish , food or a new frag. At least monthly, bring along a vial of tank water, ask them to test salinity for you to verify reading and to use for comparison.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call all your friends and give them a sample because this makes a liter of solution, which will last until the end of time. :eek::D

I'd sell it as "Flipper fluid"! Lol :p

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lower the salinity quickly without harming the inhabitants, you just cant increase it as rapidly. You also cant lower it with the top off as all you're replacing is the evaporated fresh water. You'll need to remove some salt water and replace it with fresh water.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a scaled down batch of calibration fluid yesterday to make sure my BRS fluid is correct.. 1.55 grams iodized salt added to 40.25 grams of distilled water. Matched BRS calibration fluid perfectly.

4AB560E3-F423-4B36-A6A4-EAA091AC5CDD.png

C3B32BB6-5745-4E45-8FBF-CC9649262F48.png

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back