Just put Gramma in tank & he's laying down not moving

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a beautiful Royal Gramma in my tank after temperature acclimating him for 15 minutes then adding tank water for 15 minutes and as soon as I put him in my tank I noticed he was swimming slightly crooked and now he's laying on the rock but he's breathing. Is this just stress from transportation and changing tanks? My tank has been cycled for 9 months and everything is happy and thriving...

I4NiSYV.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minute acclimation, isnt that kind of short? I usually do at least 1 hour and 30 minutes
I find fish do better with a shorter acclimation than a longer one. I only acclimate for temp, once close just put the fish in. The whole process of capture, transport, and acclimation is quite stressful. Shortening it in anyway has proven to be pretty effective for me. I have also noticed the fish seem to 'bounce back' better and quicker than they did when I used to acclimate longer.

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be fine. My royal gramma has been through hell and back and is still kicking. Make sure he has some holes to hide in and he will make one of them his home.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find fish do better with a shorter acclimation than a longer one. I only acclimate for temp, once close just put the fish in. The whole process of capture, transport, and acclimation is quite stressful. Shortening it in anyway has proven to be pretty effective for me. I have also noticed the fish seem to 'bounce back' better and quicker than they did when I used to acclimate longer.

thats the same experiences i've had and its what I do too.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, guess I'll try that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back