Kalk in ATO container is cloudy

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just started dosing kalk in my 13g nano via ATO to keep up with SPS demand. I mixed 1/2 tsp of kalk into a gallon of RO to start for 10 seconds, let it sit for 15 mins, then put my auto top off pump in. The next morning I noticed the water is super cloudy/white. Why is this? From what I read it should be clear with some precipitation on the bottom and a film on top

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump sitting on the bottom in the precipitate or is it raised up a little bit?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is raised an inch. It is the autoaqua smart ATO pump, which draws from the side and not bottom
That is odd. Normally that happens when Kalk is mixed with salt water. I've never seen it with RO water.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m not sure what the deal is. I’m gonna try to make another solution tonight and let it sit longer
Silly question, but are you sure the water is cloudy and that it isn't precipitation sticking to the side of the ATO container?

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Silly question, but are you sure the water is cloudy and that it isn't precipitation sticking to the side of the ATO container?

I guess there’s no way for me to tell (that I can think of) since the top film obscures my view. Looking through the side is pretty dang cloudy. I can post up a pic tonight

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there’s no way for me to tell (that I can think of) since the top film obscures my view. Looking through the side is pretty dang cloudy. I can post up a pic tonight
Maybe you can use something like a turkey baster to pull a sample from under the film and squeeze it into a clear glass container.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd. Normally that happens when Kalk is mixed with salt water. I've never seen it with RO water.
Related question.. can Kalk not be mixed with saltwater? My salinity was a touch low after a WC, so I put a little SW in my ATO reservoir. Been having difficulty maintaining alk/calc w Kalk mixed in ATO res since.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Related question.. can Kalk not be mixed with saltwater? My salinity was a touch low after a WC, so I put a little SW in my ATO reservoir. Been having difficulty maintaining alk/calc w Kalk mixed in ATO res since.
It cannot, at least not in a meaningful level. The calcium and carbonate will precipitate out at those high levels.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been cloudy water into a 180 for a couple years & see no ill effects . Not sure about your small tank.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing kalk in my 13g nano via ATO to keep up with SPS demand. I mixed 1/2 tsp of kalk into a gallon of RO to start for 10 seconds, let it sit for 15 mins, then put my auto top off pump in. The next morning I noticed the water is super cloudy/white. Why is this? From what I read it should be clear with some precipitation on the bottom and a film on top

hi,

I had the same question. randy answered me with assurance that putting the milky liquid will not harm anything. and so far so good for me.

I use the minimum amount, like yourself, to create a 100% saturated solution with rodi water. since its the minimum amount (use a kalkulator…. lol) there isn't much sediment to be had on the bottom. only makes sense right?

Milky is A - Ok !
I try to avoid the bottom when I pour anyway, just incase.. but it always gets somewhat mixed while im pouring.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my discussions with Seachem, milky is Ok. From my experience, milky was better. When you mix the solution for too long, it actually precipitates more, which is worse. Quick 30 secs stir results in a milky solution.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my discussions with Seachem, milky is Ok. From my experience, milky was better. When you mix the solution for too long, it actually precipitates more, which is worse. Quick 30 secs stir results in a milky solution.
Milky isn't the problem in and of itself. If you don't stir right before an addition much of the calcium carbonate you want to add will be on the bottom. The only issue with this is that you will not be adding as much alk and calc as you had intended.

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So an update. Had no issues arise from my milky kalk solution, but I made a new mixture last night and it’s perfectly clear this time. I’ve got no idea why it happened

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it cannot be. Magnesium hydroxide will precipitate, ruining it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was the first one tightly closed? Unstirred?

I discuss the precipitation reaction in detail here:

The Degradation of Limewater in Air - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.htm

First one had a inch by half inch opening for tubing and power cord.

New container has a smaller circular hole for the same purpose.

I spoke too soon now as my current mixture is cloudy again. I suppose if it’s not a big deal I won’t worry about it

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back