OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, kalk has a pH of 14, right? Not sure how he would not see any effect tbh. Again, something is off here. I would get an independent pH test to be sure.i

Also, kalk has a pH of 14, right? Not sure how he would not see any effect tbh. Again, something is off here. I would get an independent pH test to be sure.
I'll give that a try .
And report back :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser has a pH of 12.4, not 14. That said, the pH of the dosing solution is not the critical factor in determining a pH change.

The c-balance could be replaced with a hydroxide based diy two part for a bigger pH rise.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser has a pH of 12.4, not 14. That said, the pH of the dosing solution is not the critical factor in determining a pH change.

The c-balance could be replaced with a hydroxide based diy two part for a bigger pH rise.
Thanks for the correction but given the OP’s friend dosed Kalk and raised it past 11dKH should suggest a slight increase in pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the correction but given the OP’s friend dosed Kalk and raised it past 11dKH should suggest a slight increase in pH?

Adding hydroxide (as in kalkwasser) will boost alk and pH. But the effect is reduced as the tank aerates itself and the mire aeration it has, the faster the pH returns to the pre dosing pH.

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding hydroxide (as in kalkwasser) will boost alk and pH. But the effect is reduced as the tank aerates itself and the mire aeration it has, the faster the pH returns to the pre dosing pH.

Hi Randy .
The kalk enters the sump in the first chamber then flows over and through a drip plate then through a sheet of filter floss .I can get some pics if that's no clear .
Do you think anything in this design is effecting no low impact its having .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy .
The kalk enters the sump in the first chamber then flows over and through a drip plate then through a sheet of filter floss .I can get some pics if that's no clear .
Do you think anything in this design is effecting no low impact its having .

The drip plate and floss is aerating it a bit. Can you dose after the floss?

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm understanding correctly the extra aeration provided by the drip plate might be causing the issue ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm understanding correctly the extra aeration provided by the drip plate might be causing the issue ?

Extra aeration would tend to lower the pH. Whether it is significant in your case, I don’t know.

As long as flue is high, dosing in the return section should be fine. Just watch buildup on pump impellers.

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra aeration would tend to lower the pH. Whether it is significant in your case, I don’t know.

As long as flue is high, dosing in the return section should be fine. Just watch buildup on pump impellers.
8.1 Today after taking your advice
Highest it's ever been .
Thank you sir :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back