Kalkwasser vs Red Sea Foundation B?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my supplements are Red Sea Foundations (ABC - Cal, Alk, Mag) and Trace Elements (ABCD). I was wondering if Foundation B is similar to Kalkwasser, as I've seen a lot of people using Kalkwasser to up their alk by putting it in their ATO. Should I be doing this with Foundation B as well? I find it gets a little clumpy so I usually scoop out some tank water, mix it together and pour it into a high flow area.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser provides calcium and alkalinity and a pH boost (more than Red Sea). No magnesium.

Red Sea Foundation A provides calcium (and some amount of other compounds that may or may not be useful)
Red Sea foundation B provides alkalinity
Red Sea foundation C provides magnesium.

Both are Ok ways to go, as are many other methods and brands.

This has more:

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser provides calcium and alkalinity and a pH boost (more than Red Sea). No magnesium.

Red Sea Foundation A provides calcium (and some amount of other compounds that may or may not be useful)
Red Sea foundation B provides alkalinity
Red Sea foundation C provides magnesium.

Both are Ok ways to go, as are many other methods and brands.

This has more:

Thanks Randy, I didn't know Kalkwasser did more than alkalinity (though I should have guessed by the name). I never see people bringing it up so I hoped that I wasn't using something low-quality. I like the Red Sea supplement program because you dose trace elements by how much Calcium you add so it's very simple.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chortanator two part is not just calcium or alkalinity. It is very important that you understand the chemistry that you are employing.

Two Part:
Calcium Chloride
Sodium Bicarbonate/Carbonate

Magnesium:
Magnesium Chloride

Kalkwasser:
Calcium Hydroxide

If you are dosing 2 part or 3 part you are changing the sodium and chloride. If dosed together the impact isn't terrible but if you are dosing just one then you are going to have problems. You will need to use water changes to help deal with the impact but if you are dosing them as directed your water changes should be enough to correct any imbalances due to dosing irregularities. Just a note dosers drift.

Sodium can get out of balance with Chloride and vice versa. Also Sodium & Chloride can get out of balance with the rest of the minerals in the salt water. Which is The Balling Method seeks to correct.

Know your chemistry and you won't get caught by surprise.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I didn't know Kalkwasser did more than alkalinity (though I should have guessed by the name). I never see people bringing it up so I hoped that I wasn't using something low-quality. I like the Red Sea supplement program because you dose trace elements by how much Calcium you add so it's very simple.

One thing to keep in mind is trace element consumption is not nicely tied to calcium uptake like red sea says. Macroalgae, soft coral, bacteria, etc. can take take up significant amounts of these without using any calcium. Plus, not all corals should be expected to take up many of these elements at the same rate, quantity, or at all.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chortanator two part is not just calcium or alkalinity. It is very important that you understand the chemistry that you are employing.

Two Part:
Calcium Chloride
Sodium Bicarbonate/Carbonate

Magnesium:
Magnesium Chloride

Kalkwasser:
Calcium Hydroxide

If you are dosing 2 part or 3 part you are changing the sodium and chloride. If dosed together the impact isn't terrible but if you are dosing just one then you are going to have problems. You will need to use water changes to help deal with the impact but if you are dosing them as directed your water changes should be enough to correct any imbalances due to dosing irregularities. Just a note dosers drift.

Sodium can get out of balance with Chloride and vice versa. Also Sodium & Chloride can get out of balance with the rest of the minerals in the salt water. Which is The Balling Method seeks to correct.

Know your chemistry and you won't get caught by surprise.
Not sure where you saw I mentioned two-part? I just wanted to know how Foundation B compared to Kalkwasser because I didn't know what was in Kalkwasser.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is trace element consumption is not nicely tied to calcium uptake like red sea says. Macroalgae, soft coral, bacteria, etc. can take take up significant amounts of these without using any calcium. Plus, not all corals should be expected to take up many of these elements at the same rate, quantity, or at all.
Thanks for the info! I don't always dose the trace elements, usually 2.5ml of iodine a week for my inverts

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you saw I mentioned two-part? I just wanted to know how Foundation B compared to Kalkwasser because I didn't know what was in Kalkwasser.
What is Foundation B chemically?

Hint: Look at the MSDS on the product page. This will tell you what you are really dosing, it isn't alkalinity or carbonate.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Foundation B chemically?

Hint: Look at the MSDS on the product page. This will tell you what you are really dosing, it isn't alkalinity or carbonate.
Instead of being passive-aggressive, why don't you just tell me what you're trying to say? It's very clearly sodium and potassium carbonate

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I don't always dose the trace elements, usually 2.5ml of iodine a week for my inverts
Rule of thumb to always remember when you are dosing things aqueously there is always a postive ion and a negative ion.

That said you are not dosing just iodine.

This stuff is important. :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of being passive-aggressive, why don't you just tell me what you're trying to say? It's very clearly sodium and potassium carbonate
I did. I am not sure why YOU are being passive aggressive. I answered your question clearly. You're missing some big building blocks here.

Ummmm it isn't potassium carbonate.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back