Kalwasser in ATO

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you manage kalkwasser concentration in the ATO? My rodi reservoir never completely empties so how do I know how much to add to keep a consistent concentration? I suppose that every time it gets to the outlet I make the exact same amount of rodi every time and fill to a line and add the same amount to make up the difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you manage kalkwasser concentration in the ATO? My rodi reservoir never completely empties so how do I know how much to add to keep a consistent concentration? I suppose that every time it gets to the outlet I make the exact same amount of rodi every time and fill to a line and add the same amount to make up the difference.

I managed mine by measuring conductivity in the solution wen I mixed it up. I always had a bunch of solids on the bottom (mostly calcium carbonate and undissolved calcium hydroxide) and would only add more calcium hydroxide solids if I could not get the conductivity up to me target with stirring alone.

10.3 mS/cm is about saturation at 25 deg C.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed mine by measuring conductivity in the solution wen I mixed it up. I always had a bunch of solids on the bottom (mostly calcium carbonate and undissolved calcium hydroxide) and would only add more calcium hydroxide solids if I could not get the conductivity up to me target with stirring alone.

10.3 mS/cm is about saturation at 25 deg C.
Oh... interesting. From my field experience there should be a conversion from TDS to Conductivity. Maybe I can just try to maintain the same TDS? I mean... the kalkwasser is the only contribution to TDS anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... interesting. From my field experience there should be a conversion from TDS to Conductivity. Maybe I can just try to maintain the same TDS? I mean... the kalkwasser is the only contribution to TDS anyway.

There is not a single exact mathematical conversion. All TDS meters actually determine conductivity and then perform some sort of conversion to get TDS (which actually has a variety of different definitions/scales) , but regardless of that detail, one can use a TDS meter that can read in the 5,000 to 10,000 + ppm TDS range by determining what your unit reads in truly saturated kalkwasser (say, 2 teaspoons calcium hydroxide in a cup of RO/DI water) and then use that as the value for full saturation. Half that value (assuming it is not maxed out for any of the measurements) is about half saturation.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thank you

I always just added more to the bucket or filled the bucket with rodi when lazy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back