Kasa TPLink HS300 issues

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its just me but I think I am about to chuck my Kasa TPlink HS300 power strip. I have for a while known that it will randomly reset for no reason, the whole power strip just resets. Then I wake up to a bunch of emails that my temp in my aquarium is below the threshold, and notice that my fans did not turn off (tied to the kasa), then looking into that I noticed I couldnt reach the Kasa strip, lights were on and all white showing normal but even the app wouldnt connect, nor ping. I cycled power and everything returned online and things are working again but I really not sure I want to continue using it. Looking back at the logs looks like it locked up yesterday morning at 9am and I was no idea. For the most part I have stuff that I want on and always on but probably should move my cooling fan. I guess I need to figure out some way to monitor it since my grafana stuff just kept seeing the same output so even that didnt work.

Anyone else have any issues with the Kasa TP Link stuff or is it just me? FYI, for those using them you may want to make sure your monitoring reachability etc...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kasa HS300 on my tank and probably over a dozen of the standalone smart outlets for different things throughout the house, both aquarium and non aquarium related. Plus I use several of their smart light switches. I have never had any issues with any of them.

If you are having issues with it turning off outlets I would definitely quit using it for anything critical on the tank.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its just me but I think I am about to chuck my Kasa TPlink HS300 power strip. I have for a while known that it will randomly reset for no reason, the whole power strip just resets. Then I wake up to a bunch of emails that my temp in my aquarium is below the threshold, and notice that my fans did not turn off (tied to the kasa), then looking into that I noticed I couldnt reach the Kasa strip, lights were on and all white showing normal but even the app wouldnt connect, nor ping. I cycled power and everything returned online and things are working again but I really not sure I want to continue using it. Looking back at the logs looks like it locked up yesterday morning at 9am and I was no idea. For the most part I have stuff that I want on and always on but probably should move my cooling fan. I guess I need to figure out some way to monitor it since my grafana stuff just kept seeing the same output so even that didnt work.

Anyone else have any issues with the Kasa TP Link stuff or is it just me? FYI, for those using them you may want to make sure your monitoring reachability etc...
Hmmm, might also be WiFi related ?
I remember someone who had issues on power or WiFi-Outages, after which ReefPi came on faster than the WiFi or the Strip, if I recall correctly. Might be similar in the sense that the Strip comes on faster than the WiFi and has a problem reconnecting ? Although it might just be faulty software in the strip, I think somebody found those issues online as well.

One idea: you might feed your Kasa-Strip through a stand-alone single socket that @Gtinnel mentioned. Whenever the data from your Kasa-strip hangs for too long, you can power cycle it automatically.

Might be doable from both ReefPi, using a slightly more complicated transform-formula,
an outside script, like the flowmeter script,
or from an outside server,as it sounds like you might have something like that, since you were writing about logs ?

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kasa HS300 on my tank and probably over a dozen of the standalone smart outlets for different things throughout the house, both aquarium and non aquarium related. Plus I use several of their smart light switches. I have never had any issues with any of them.

If you are having issues with it turning off outlets I would definitely quit using it for anything critical on the tank.
Yeah I did that from the start, I tended to only put things on it that I always wanted on, didnt think about my cooling fan though. I for sure would never put a something like a doser on a tplink controlled outlet or something critical like that.

I think I have one of the older HS300 units, Ive never had an issue with the mini outlets but I have had issues with the powerstrip. Trying to figure out do I replace the strip with a new one or do I do something different, thought about doing a normal power strip with a bunch of the mini's plugged into it. More addresses to manage etc but would eliminate the whole strip taking everything down.

Now the good news is that power was still being applied to the outlets so that was good, but the network interface was locked up and you couldnt reach any of the outlets.

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, might also be WiFi related ?
I remember someone who had issues on power or WiFi-Outages, after which ReefPi came on faster than the WiFi or the Strip, if I recall correctly. Might be similar in the sense that the Strip comes on faster than the WiFi and has a problem reconnecting ? Although it might just be faulty software in the strip, I think somebody found those issues online as well.

One idea: you might feed your Kasa-Strip through a stand-alone single socket that @Gtinnel mentioned. Whenever the data from your Kasa-strip hangs for too long, you can power cycle it automatically.

Might be doable from both ReefPi, using a slightly more complicated transform-formula,
an outside script, like the flowmeter script,
or using MQTT, sounds like you might have something like that, since you were writing about logs ?
Yeah its not wifi related since I would hear about that from other things even my laptop, the whole strip network interface locked up. I have other stuff that would have notified me that it was disconnected from the cloud but looks like the tplink doesnt do that, at least not a setting I could find. I just need to figure out what to replace it with, I no longer trust it, the resetting was one thing but the whole unit locking up is a whole nother thing.

Back