2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw

This stuff on Amazon,
1645008160530.png

just intriguing, not willing to experiment on the DT but really curious given the price. If anyone has used this or any other non-aquarium specific commercial media, please chime in, experience or sources

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^appreciate that Randy but do you or anyone else know of or can predict any risk for reef tank use?…I mean it supposedly is for making drinking water (not that one equals the other but)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^appreciate that Randy but do you or anyone else know of or can predict any risk for reef tank use?…I mean it supposedly is for making drinking water (not that one equals the other but)

If there's anything I'd recommend against, its granules of metallic copper and zinc in a reef tank. lol

Sounds like almost the worst possible additive, except maybe already disoslved copper.

Potable water is allowed more than 1 ppm copper, and such a filter can only release copper to the extent that there are oxidizing substances in the water. Drinking water doesn't have a lot, aside from chlorine or chloramine or other disinfectants. But passing reef tank over it continuously sounds like a bad plan.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on running it in tank for filtration or using it as an rodi stage?

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the sheet they provide:

"KDF Process Media are high purity copper-zinc granules that reduce contaminants in water using oxidation/reduction (redox) reaction. "

If there's anything I'd recommend against, its granules of metallic copper and zinc in a reef tank. lol

Sounds like almost the worst possible additive, except maybe already disoslved copper.

Potable water is allowed more than 1 ppm copper, and such a filter can only release copper to the extent that there are oxidizing substances in the water. Drinking water doesn't have a lot, aside from chlorine or chloramine or other disinfectants. But passing reef tank over it continuously sounds like a bad plan.
ha ha, see that’s why you are the doctor and I’m the rapper … anyway, if copper can work as a knee brace it should purify tank water, right?
a…yeah, I was considering using it to knock down my 600ppm tap which doubles as construction mortar

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back