Keeping an aquarium on the second floor?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's compile some tips to help people who are interested in keeping an aquarium on a second floor or even a heavy aquarium on a floor with joust.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not under any circumstances use a stand that has feet rather than the entire stand sitting on the floor - tends to make holes in the floor over time or very quickly (if its a big enough aquarium).

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing those links :) In a second floor apartment and deciding exactly where I want to place my where it would be safe. It is a 72 gallon so not as big as some, next time I am down in the basement to do laundry I will need to pay close attention to the direction the joists are going.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55glh with 85lbs of LR on a non bearing wall in the but... I also have three 18,000lbs per pole jacks directly underneath it in the basement for stability from HomeD as my house was built in the 30's. If you would like to see a pic let me know, I will provide one.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Make sure the tank is on a load bearing wall.
2. Make sure your tank is perpendicular to the floor joists.
3. Depending on when the house was built, see what kind of joists you have and their weight limit.

+1

Make sure the tank is leveled or one day it will break

Cyber-Burn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those links are a great resource. It is also good to point out that even on the first floor some planning needs to take place if you are over a crawl space instead of a cement pad. If you own your residence the it isn't hard to add supports to make sure that you wont have any problems in the future.

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good thread as I live on the second floor of a multi-family house built in the 30's. I'm looking to put either a 60 or 93 gallon cube in the corner of a load and non load bearing wall. These links in the previous posts are an immense help!

frybread4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55glh with 85lbs of LR on a non bearing wall in the but... I also have three 18,000lbs per pole jacks directly underneath it in the basement for stability from HomeD as my house was built in the 30's. If you would like to see a pic let me know, I will provide one.

I did about the same thing. Old house with an unfinished basement/cellar. Just took one bottle jack (not hydraulic) and a chuck of 2x8 wood 4' long and braced under the joists. its holding up one 90 gallon tank and one 120 gallon tank.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 90g on the second floor. The tank is against one of the far sides of the house, and the second floor is actually underground. Underneath the tank stand is a carpet runner, and then a piece of waterproof cement board (usually used in bathrooms) to help distribute the weight as much as possible.

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 90g on the second floor. The tank is against one of the far sides of the house, and the second floor is actually underground. Underneath the tank stand is a carpet runner, and then a piece of waterproof cement board (usually used in bathrooms) to help distribute the weight as much as possible.

How old of a house if you don't mind me asking?

Eizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not really that old, considering modern construction practices and lumber sizing. It's floor framing system is going to look basically the same as a house built in the 80's for example.

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not really that old, considering modern construction practices and lumber sizing. It's floor framing system is going to look basically the same as a house built in the 80's for example.

No it isn't at all. The house I'm currently in was built in the 30's, balloon construction style. I'm hoping I can fit a 60 or 90 cube in the corner of my living room on the second floor.

Eizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would be Very cautious about putting it on the second floor with the house being balloon framed unless there is a bearing wall directly under the tank. Honestly, it would probably hold it fine, but I would make double sure first.

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this tank on the second floor?

I had a thought but need to run by an engineer or do alot of googling but, Could I place bottle jacks in the basement underneath the joists of the first floor under where there is a non load bearing wall on the first floor directly under where the tank would be on the second?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'll try and get a pic or a primative hand drawing.

Clown Fish Harem Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's compile some tips to help people who are interested in keeping an aquarium on a second floor or even a heavy aquarium on a floor with joust.

Reefers! Need your experience. I want to place a new tank build on the first floor on my home. The home is 18 years old. There is a basement below, which is now finished. The tank is 47" in length & 27" wide. It is 130 G total (sump included) The tank will sit against a wall. On the other side of the wall is the staircase to the basement. The joists below are perpendicular to the tank above. The tank will sit where the Green dresser is in the photo. I've spoken to a buddy who works construction, he says I'm good to go. I just wanted to ask reef2reef and see if anyone else any objections. The tank I'd for a Harem clown. I'm super excited but must make sure tank placement is safe. Happy reading all ! Cheers

Attachments

• 20210129_190229.jpg
    20210129_190229.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20210129_185450.jpg
    20210129_185450.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 148

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide are the floor Joyce? The load bearing wall under is more the strong to carry the load. Depending on the width of the floor Joyce will get you the answer you are looking for.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers! Need your experience. I want to place a new tank build on the first floor on my home. The home is 18 years old. There is a basement below, which is now finished. The tank is 47" in length & 27" wide. It is 130 G total (sump included) The tank will sit against a wall. On the other side of the wall is the staircase to the basement. The joists below are perpendicular to the tank above. The tank will sit where the Green dresser is in the photo. I've spoken to a buddy who works construction, he says I'm good to go. I just wanted to ask reef2reef and see if anyone else any objections. The tank I'd for a Harem clown. I'm super excited but must make sure tank placement is safe. Happy reading all ! Cheers

I wouldn't bat an eye on that and agree with your buddy, looks like the joists are 16 OC which is required in most areas for structural walls.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back