Keeping multiple clownfish

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank currently with 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 reef chromis and a scooter blenny (along with some corals, zoas, crabs, snails etc.). So I've been thinking about adding more fish since its a big tank for 4 smallish fish. I am a big fan of clowns and was thinking of getting some more. I know some say you shouldn't put more than 2 but others have had success doing it. I'm interested in black ocellaris as well as many of the other designer types, snowflakes, platinum, etc.

So the question is, how can you keep a group of clowns together successfully and what should I avoid (or should I just get more tanks lol)? For instance is it a problem to put onyx clowns in with regular ocellaris, or would black ocellaris be better? Same with the other designer types.

Thanks!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread titled "how many clowns are too many" that may give you some of the answers you're looking for. Sorry I don't know how to post a link from my phone.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful about adding new clowns to your current system. I have discussed this with our local breeder many times. I have 4 orange and white ocellaris, 4 black and white ocellaris, 2 picassos, and 1 platinum in a 150 gallon tank and all is well so far but they all came from the same breeder and I added them at the same time.

I tried to see what would happen if I put in a snowcasso pair that I had but even when I put them in the same acclimation bucket there was already some pecking and fighting so I didn't want to risk it. Dave my local breeder says you can add clownfish of different shapes often with success. For example I have been able to successfully add skunk clowns with other clownfish. I have also been able to add a smaller clownfish to a bigger platinum in hopes of pairing and that worked out well but I also have other tanks to move the fish if the pairing doesn't go well.

You should check out my and Marvin's tank threads.

OP
OP
allabout

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
allabout

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful about adding new clowns to your current system. I have discussed this with our local breeder many times. I have 4 orange and white ocellaris, 4 black and white ocellaris, 2 picassos, and 1 platinum in a 150 gallon tank and all is well so far but they all came from the same breeder and I added them at the same time.

I tried to see what would happen if I put in a snowcasso pair that I had but even when I put them in the same acclimation bucket there was already some pecking and fighting so I didn't want to risk it. Dave my local breeder says you can add clownfish of different shapes often with success. For example I have been able to successfully add skunk clowns with other clownfish. I have also been able to add a smaller clownfish to a bigger platinum in hopes of pairing and that worked out well but I also have other tanks to move the fish if the pairing doesn't go well.

You should check out my and Marvin's tank threads.

I've looked at Marvin's clown thread but haven't gotten through it all yet, its got a lot of pages to get through! I'll search for yours as well, thanks.

Yeah I've had one ocellaris for I guess over a year and added a new smaller one about a month ago. At first she wouldn't even let him out of the corner of the tank but never "attacked" or anything, just definitely kept him in check. Now they are fine together, but don't really hang out together or anything. I would love eventually to get a breeding pair of some sort of percs. Not sure if they can develop into a breeding pair over time or if it's "love at first site" so to speak haha. I need to read more about it anyway. I'll check for your thread, thanks again!

I'll have to get some other types of fish for my main tank I suppose.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back