Kessil A160WE LED Light With Canopy

AllyssaM23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was wondering How heat Resistant Kessil A160WE LED Lights are with a canopy. I live in Florida with my aquarium in my bed room with my dogs so heat is a HUGE concern for me, So I was wondering if the light are ok with heat or if it's a widely known issue (Lights came with canopy in images, Looking into replacing them). TIA

My Setup is:
72"L x 18"W x 20"H (Aquarium Dimensions)

Canopy 1.jpg Canopy 2.jpg Canopy 3.jpg Canopy 4.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your question is?

If you are asking would kessil lights be able to work in an enclosed space, then I would say doing that would seriously reduce their life, these lights get hot, they have a very small internal fan which imo would not be able to cope with heat from an enclosed space.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AllyssaM23

AllyssaM23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your question is?

If you are asking would kessil lights be able to work in an enclosed space, then I would say doing that would seriously reduce their life, these lights get hot, they have a very small internal fan which imo would not be able to cope with heat from an enclosed space.
Yes thank you

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, they are low wattage, 40watts, which is much less than then equivalent radions, I would take the temp of the enclosed space, if it’s reasonable then I would definitely consider them, you could even add a air vent fan to the enclosure…looking at your pics it looks a large setup, I was thinking the enclosure was small.

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can retrofit your canopy with 4 inch computer fans and a temperature sensor. So when the lights turn off at night so does the fan. Set the fans up with a push-pull. One fan or a set of fans bring air in and another remove the warm air. There is more to it, like setting up a fresh air intake and output. Do you have AC in the house?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AllyssaM23

AllyssaM23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can retrofit your canopy with 4 inch computer fans and a temperature sensor. So when the lights turn off at night so does the fan. Set the fans up with a push-pull. One fan or a set of fans bring air in and another remove the warm air. There is more to it, like setting up a fresh air intake and output. Do you have AC in the house?
Yes I do have AC

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have AC
That can make things a bit easier for heat dispersion. Do you have Co2/PH issues with you and your dogs in a bedroom at night? But if you could connect outside air to the input fans, that in combination with surface agitation, you could really kill two birds with one stone here. Sorry, I am creating a bigger project than you thought, my wheels are just turning with complete solutions not band-aids. My answer, may not be "the" answer or solution.

Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say an intake fan and an exhaust fan on either side of the canopy will do fine. When I set my 180 up as a planted tank years ago I had 3 160 tuna suns and 2 36" t5s in the canopy. I found some decorative vent covers and cut holes to mount a single fan on either side. 1 pulling air in the other pulling air out. I put the covers over the holes and it still looked nice.

The fresh air is a good idea, but with temp and humidity in florida in the summer imo its not worth it the ac air would be better not for ph but cooling.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back