Kessil A80 / Nano and SPS / Please advise before I pull the trigger

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I'm about 7 to 8 weeks in with the Kessil a80's modded into my canopy.
I could not be any happier. All my lps have been balloon'd out and my SPS are still colored up and continue to go and encrust my live rock. I have a red hot chilli pepper that's 20" down and it's color and growth have never been better.

Even though it took 7 hours to complete, this is by far the best lighting mod that I've ever done for my reef.

@pugcrush
Thanks again for your input on our PM's.
Between you and Kessil's advice you guys were spot on. :)
Glad it all worked out. The mod is an absolute masterpiece!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@e572

It's been awhile. Are you still happy with the a80?

Thanks, GoVols

e572

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely in fact I just had to remove my Duncan and cut it up because its grown so much since I put that light on lol. I would get more if I get another tank in the future.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely in fact I just had to remove my Duncan and cut it up because its grown so much since I put that light on lol. I would get more if I get another tank in the future.
Thank You!

That wall hammer in the earlier post, comes out so much and the hammers have gotten so big that you can not see the H pattern anymore. :)

Last edited:

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an A80 and so far so good. I still have to get my goose neck for it. I am using it over a 13.5 evo.

Elmolikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I acquired an a80 about a month ago and upgraded from the 14 biocube factory compact fluorescents. A lot of my montiporas and one acro near the top of my tank have bleached. The light is about 5"above the tank and was wondering if anyone had % recommendations for % of blue to white and % intensity maybe amount of time you have lights on? I moved bleaching corals lower, but would still love some input.

1493856210187-1122711290.jpg

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is about 5"above the tank and was wondering if anyone had % recommendations for % of blue to white and % intensity maybe amount of time you have lights on? I moved bleaching corals lower, but would still love some input.
Yes, They my be 15 watts but they pack a serious punch. My tank is so big that I can't be helpful.

@e572 can you answer Elmolikesfish 's questions?

Thanks, GoVols

Last edited:

e572

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise it a few inches its very powerful and turn it a little more towards blue. I never bought a controller but mine is noticeably more blue.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'd call a... "Freak'n Laser Beam". :)

kessil-a2000-led-light-7.jpg

Last edited:

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 days in, I can see the difference. My acans and duncans are bigger with better color. My elegance coral has also improved greatly. I am really impressed with this light. I also believe the controller's features are worth the extra $99.

Nadicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoVols-
Im doing a build on a 36x18x19 50g in a canopy
Is that a 36 inch tank?
What t5 bubs you using?
Would 3 A80's work, or do you recommend 4?
Are you still happy with the A80s?
What % intensity did you get up to running this setup?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoVols-
Im doing a build on a 36x18x19 50g in a canopy
Is that a 36 inch tank?
What t5 bubs you using?
Would 3 A80's work, or do you recommend 4?
Are you still happy with the A80s?
What % intensity did you get up to running this setup?
My tank is 42" long and Kessil told me to go with 4 units. I would suggest 4 units with the Kessil Spectral Controller with an analog timer for the T5's
I'm running (2) KZ Super Blue T5's. My canopy holds ALL the lights 4" above the water line. The T5's are 7"away from the center of the Kessil's light point source, for par and shadow fill in. One in the front of the tank and one at the back of the tank inside the canopy.
I'm at 25% color and 100% intensity but it took awhile to get to 100% and I did cook a birdsnest in the process. I should have lowered that SPS.
I am a lighting junkie that likes to tinker. I'm still a lighting junkie but my corals are so happy and flourishing, that I'm no longer a lighting tinker'r.
If I ever changed the mod, then I should be back-slapped from stupidity. I have a Red Hot Chilli pepper (SPS) 20" down and it has just took off in growth and color.

A Kessil engineer took the time to help me and he nailed it! :)

Lighting is half the job. I run the entire Red Sea program, except NoPox. I have no need to carbon dose.

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nadicus
My tank is 24" tall.
For the length of your 36", I'd still do the same setup but I don't think you will need to run he 4 a80's at 100% intensity unless their mounted really high above you water line inside your canopy.

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that the A80 is a great light for nano tanks. You definally need the controller to create custom ramp ups because intensity needs to be high in order for SPS to benefit. It has grown my Birds nest without bleaching. Started with a frag and almost have a full colony. although the next light I'll be purchasing for my larger build will be AI LED's.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but seems like it keeps getting drug along. I'm planning an Innovative Marine 14g peninsula SPS dominant and I'm thinking of putting one A80 over it. The tank is 12 wide 13 tall and 20 deep. Will it grow Acros?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but seems like it keeps getting drug along. I'm planning an Innovative Marine 14g peninsula SPS dominant and I'm thinking of putting one A80 over it. The tank is 12 wide 13 tall and 20 deep. Will it grow Acros?
@Amele8
What are your thoughts.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back