Kessil A80 or maxspect jump 30w

sharkbait1122*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to set up a low tech simple 20 gallon tall tank(marineland). It'll have an HoB filter and a couple fish. Looking to put in some softies, zoas, candy canes maybe some gsp mushrooms and perhaps a euphillia long term. I'm looking at the kessil a80 and Jump 130 as a budget simple light. Does anyone have any experience with either/ recommendations?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love kessil. Nothing can duplicate the shimmer given.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the color and shimmer on the a80, but it is only 15w.

OP
OP
S

sharkbait1122*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inquired to BRS and they said the ai prime. But the price point is double. Any insights or other thoughts? I know there's less to say with budget lights but I'm only looking to keep low maintenance corals in a 20g tall

Last edited:

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a noopsyche pro which is overkill but you can tune down. Heard good things about nicrew and vipatspectra as well

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Kessil A80 and just ordered the Maxspect (was $60 on BRS sale). . . so soon I will be able to let you know.

I like the Kessil but don't love it. . . for the price, especially if you get one used, it is pretty good.

I have a Nicrew "equivilent" to the A80, and it is also pretty good considering the price.

I have recently been looking at the cheap Hygger lights as well but IDK much about them

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inquired to BRS and they said the ai prime. But the price point is double. Any insights or other thoughts? I know there's less to say with budget lights but I'm only looking to keep low maintenance corals in a 20g tall

I wouldn't do a prime because of melting lenses

OP
OP
S

sharkbait1122*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil A80 and just ordered the Maxspect (was $60 on BRS sale). . . so soon I will be able to let you know.

I like the Kessil but don't love it. . . for the price, especially if you get one used, it is pretty good.

I have a Nicrew "equivilent" to the A80, and it is also pretty good considering the price.

I have recently been looking at the cheap Hygger lights as well but IDK much about them
Do you think the a80 could handle leathers Zoas and maybe a frogspawn or hammer on a 20g tall marine land tank? And if so what, based on your experience, would you run it at for intensity

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think the a80 could handle leathers Zoas and maybe a frogspawn or hammer on a 20g tall marine land tank? And if so what, based on your experience, would you run it at for intensity
I mean probably, but I think it is pushing it as far as depth and coverage.

I have mine over a Fluval Flex 9 gallon and am running it at max intensity.

Here is a thread where someone documented PAR for the A80. Keep in mind that tank is only 3 gallons and 8" deep:

FernFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to set up a low tech simple 20 gallon tall tank(marineland). It'll have an HoB filter and a couple fish. Looking to put in some softies, zoas, candy canes maybe some gsp mushrooms and perhaps a euphillia long term. I'm looking at the kessil a80 and Jump 130 as a budget simple light. Does anyone have any experience with either/ recommendations?
I would get this

NooPsyche K7 Mini Kit 60W​

https://noopsychereeflight.com/products/k7mini

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will also add that the Smatfarm LED might be a good option, kinda overkill maxed out, but should be able to dial it down. Cold would be about the same if not cheaper that the Kessil when you consider the mount.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have a PAR meter so I figured the best I could do is take a photo in manual (manual photo app on my phone) in the same spot with both lights:

Kessil A80:

Full intensity all blue-
IMG_1389.png

Full intensity, half blue and half white-
IMG_1382.jpeg

Full intensity, all white-
IMG_1383.jpeg

Maxspect L130:

Lighting effect P3
IMG_1390.png

Lighting effect P2-
IMG_1385.jpeg

Lighting effect P1-
IMG_1386.jpeg

my opinion, I like the Kessil more for my application (9 gallon tank). I think it is brighter (but just barely), it offers a nice shimmer effect, and I feel like the corals/anemone look better under it (again just barely). That said, it is only a tiny cluster of LEDs so it your size tank the Maxspect may actually be a better option (though at the price point there are a lot of other options (as others have posted).

TLDR: I would choose the Kessil for my 9 gallon, probably wouldn’t choose either for a 20 gallon (but if you had to pick one for that situation I would pick the Maxspect), and both are nice lights!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sharkbait1122*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a PAR meter so I figured the best I could do is take a photo in manual (manual photo app on my phone) in the same spot with both lights:

Kessil A80:

Full intensity all blue-
IMG_1389.png

Full intensity, half blue and half white-
IMG_1382.jpeg

Full intensity, all white-
IMG_1383.jpeg

Maxspect L130:

Lighting effect P3
IMG_1390.png

Lighting effect P2-
IMG_1385.jpeg

Lighting effect P1-
IMG_1386.jpeg

my opinion, I like the Kessil more for my application (9 gallon tank). I think it is brighter (but just barely), it offers a nice shimmer effect, and I feel like the corals/anemone look better under it (again just barely). That said, it is only a tiny cluster of LEDs so it your size tank the Maxspect may actually be a better option (though at the price point there are a lot of other options (as others have posted).

TLDR: I would choose the Kessil for my 9 gallon, probably wouldn’t choose either for a 20 gallon (but if you had to pick one for that situation I would pick the Maxspect), and both are nice lights!
That's some helpful info!! I appreciate it!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back