OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I really am interested and will buy an ALK Monitor but I want to wait and see what GHL releases before purchasing anything.

I want to see their design, and what Apex and Jim Welsh give us too. One of the reasons I jumped on the KHG was that it is completely stand alone. If I want to move it to another system (frag/grow out system) later then I can. Especially if I want to try Jim Welsh's design integrated with my Apex system on the main display.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple is always better. A properly set cal reactor will accomplish a stable alkalinity and also add mag, cal and alk.
I have a MTC ProCal reactor controlled by an Aquarium Carbon Doser and I set it and forget it.
Marine technical concepts has top quality products .

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the kh machine it's dosing sodium bicarbonate by Alk consumption then how are you dosing calcium to keep the ionic balance. I don't see how this is possible because the machine will does kh randomly to keep up with the alk changes. I could see problems in the futures of the tank dosing alk this way.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Removed a few posts where this thread was headed off-topic. Let's keep this focused on the OP's stated purpose (his discussing the setup and use of his KHG and sharing results). Thanks, everyone! :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the kh machine it's dosing sodium bicarbonate by Alk consumption then how are you dosing calcium to keep the ionic balance. I don't see how this is possible because the machine will does kh randomly to keep up with the alk changes. I could see problems in the futures of the tank dosing alk this way.

That's why you don't rely KHG as a sole means of dosing. It's more of a way to fine tune what you are already doing so that your alkalinity stabilizes. If the KHG is dosing everytime it tests then I know that I need to increase the amount of balling salts that I am dosing during that period. But yes if you are just dosing alkalinity you will get an imbalance. That isn't happening here, a balanced true 3 part balling mixture is doing the work.

I'm not running mine with a Ca reactor, but there are other's here that are. I'm sure they will chime in when they can.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why you don't rely KHG as a sole means of dosing. It's more of a way to fine tune what you are already doing so that your alkalinity stabilizes. If the KHG is dosing everytime it tests then I know that I need to increase the amount of balling salts that I am dosing during that period. But yes if you are just dosing alkalinity you will get an imbalance. That isn't happening here, a balanced true 3 part balling mixture is doing the work.

I'm not running mine with a Ca reactor, but there are other's here that are. I'm sure they will chime in when they can.

It's would be really nice if they can slave 2 more dosing pumps to the kh pump so that every time the kh doses it would also dose the other two.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's would be really nice if they can slave 2 more dosing pumps to the kh pump so that every time the kh doses it would also dose the other two.

I agree if it dosed a true 3 part then it would be ideal. The cost would be much higher, and you would likely be forced to use standardized solutions, or program the unit for known true concentrations of user made solutions. It would increase the complexity/price/learning curve.

I think what a lot of people are seeing as a shortcoming being standalone and only being able to make very tiny adjustments with a low concentration solution of sodium bicarbonate isn't necisarrily a disadvantage. It's pretty easy to look at the log and see when and how much it has dosed and keep track.

A programable slave dosing pump for the other two solutions would make a nice addition. ;)

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently dosing using the Aquaforest component 123 ie balling method. Component 1 is used for raising alkalinity. Can I use this instead of bicarbonate of soda?

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno Jonathan. I know you can use any sodium bicarbonate you just have to mix 65grams in 1 liter of water. If the concentration is different then it won't make accurate additions.

So if the Aquaforest alkalinity component is sodium bicarbonate you should be able to weigh out 65 grams and then add it to 1 liter of water and it should work just fine. My Tropic Marin uses sodium bicarbonate, but I just used Arm and Hammer to make my solution.

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if it dosed a true 3 part then it would be ideal. The cost would be much higher, and you would likely be forced to use standardized solutions, or program the unit for known true concentrations of user made solutions. It would increase the complexity/price/learning curve.

I think what a lot of people are seeing as a shortcoming being standalone and only being able to make very tiny adjustments with a low concentration solution of sodium bicarbonate isn't necisarrily a disadvantage. It's pretty easy to look at the log and see when and how much it has dosed and keep track.

A programable slave dosing pump for the other two solutions would make a nice addition. ;)
Having the ability to see in real-time your alk numbers justifies the cost in my humble opinion. The fact that this unit exist and is 'working' means that the ability to monitor calcium in real-time, and the ability to dose (from integrated or standalone unit) based on needed adjustments is around the corner. Before I pour funds into the Guardian, I want too see what Neptune does with their device.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the ability to see in real-time your alk numbers justifies the cost in my humble opinion. The fact that this unit exist and is 'working' means that the ability to monitor calcium in real-time, and the ability to dose (from integrated or standalone unit) based on needed adjustments is around the corner. Before I pour funds into the Guardian, I want too see what Neptune does with their device.

I agree! I am also excited to see what they bring out, and it will likely give me an excuse to set up a frag system that largely babysits itself with the KHG. In the meantime I'll let the KHG make my daily routine a little easier. :)

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno Jonathan. I know you can use any sodium bicarbonate you just have to mix 65grams in 1 liter of water. If the concentration is different then it won't make accurate additions.

So if the Aquaforest alkalinity component is sodium bicarbonate you should be able to weigh out 65 grams and then add it to 1 liter of water and it should work just fine. My Tropic Marin uses sodium bicarbonate, but I just used Arm and Hammer to make my solution.
I guess you can manually configure the KHG to dose as per Component 1 instead of the Bicarbonate of Soda.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's the value proposition, especially with the large swings you get with keeping SPS. I guess are getting a decent margin with its $1k price tag. These things will only get cheaper and better but it's fun being an early adopter !

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already doing AWC with Apex DoS and it's keeping my alk levels in check . The KHG adds another layer which gives me peace of mind when I get around to keeping SPS.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 96 41.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%
Back