KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are really making bit of a mountain out of this mole hill. I would have thought some decent kitchen scales would be accessible by most reefers, but if not - go for 1500ml - it's really not going to create that much of difference. Besides it's consistency we are all chasing over actual figures. Makes no difference to me if it says 7.4 or 7.6, as long as it has a benchmark to try and stay at.

DP REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f8b7a1444beb8a7c577190b32cbe94c0.jpg
. I am straddling the missing 8.6 and not happy about it. However I have been having 1 dkh swings across several weeks during intense work periods including traveling. If this thing can keep my all from swinging less than .3dkh and monitor remotely I am happy with it. I spend much more on corals....

DP REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan to use it to keep my tank from dropping below a threshold and providing slightly less than required via calcium reactor.

I think some instability is having only set it up 3 days ago and some fidgeting I have done with calcium reactor. Need to find a stable reactor setting , a place with no missing number and see how this thing performs.

Will also move dkh to a spot with no missing number !

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen the jump SpsSixty has, everything has tracked very accurately to the Hanna tester and keeps the tank running within 0.1 to date, I run a calcium reactor and have the KHG supplement when demand rises and once I have a trend, I adjust the Calcium reactor up. It is a Porsche to me.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what your range your going to come across missing dkh numbers, just may not be as noticeable in some ranges.

My log with a few concern areas highlighted

Yeah you have more than gotten your point across.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I will be happy with the results. I have followed this thread and there are a few anomolies but a new tech always has some problems. From what I have seen from the posted results of users, I should be able to see a consistent alk level in my system. It will just take a few adjustments that I expect as a new user.

I am not dissing on the KH Guardian. I have only provided my observations as a buyer and average user. Alk monitoring has so much potential for SPS reefs that I am willing to make this investment and I will provide the feedback once I implement it.

What's good brother? I'm looking into investing in one. Let me know your thoughts once it's up and running :)

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps3Sixty can you post a picture of your setup and tank I am curious how much more SPS loading you have to see if what parameters may be making a difference in performance.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get pH drops with drops in KH, Im going from KH9 to 7.5 and at 7.90 at the moment but have had pH drop to 7.68.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get pH drops with drops in KH, Im going from KH9 to 7.5 and at 7.90 at the moment but have had pH drop to 7.68.

The change in alk from 9 dKH to 7.5 dKH will allow the daily pH swing to get bigger, but not all that much bigger. Not more than about 0.1 pH unit. For comparison, a drop by a factor of 2 (say, 9 dKH to 4 dKH) will allow the pH swing to approximately double.

DP REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post the missing #'s from 7.0-9.o? Trying to find the best range between 7.5-8.5.. For me I care less about accuracy and more about repeatability however it has to be in a range that can be displayed!

Looked through half the pages and could only find missing #'s between 8-9.

DP REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up my carbonate solution and turned on auto dosing.

I've decided to target 8.1 since I have higher resolution during alk drops with no missing details.

If it goes up then I'll see a 8.3 but that's ok. It's only going to dose w/ less than 8.1.

Will post after a week

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up my carbonate solution and turned on auto dosing.

I've decided to target 8.1 since I have higher resolution during alk drops with no missing details.

If it goes up then I'll see a 8.3 but that's ok. It's only going to dose w/ less than 8.1.

Will post after a week

How are things working for you so far?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back