Kill Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium in an empty tank by heating?

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I have a fair amount of fresh saltwater sitting around but I had corals in there very, very briefly. I'm wondering if it's possible to heat the water to sterilize it in case of contamination so I could reuse it in one of my QTs. I remember reading that something like 40 degrees Celcius will kill ich but is that true of Amyloodinium and other nasties?

Yes, I know I could just mix up a new batch of saltwater but I'm also genuinely curious if there's a known temperature limit established for these parasitic organisms.

Thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I have a fair amount of fresh saltwater sitting around but I had corals in there very, very briefly. I'm wondering if it's possible to heat the water to sterilize it in case of contamination so I could reuse it in one of my QTs. I remember reading that something like 40 degrees Celcius will kill ich but is that true of Amyloodinium and other nasties?

Yes, I know I could just mix up a new batch of saltwater but I'm also genuinely curious if there's a known temperature limit established for these parasitic organisms.

Thanks in advance!
I don’t know of any references for high temperature tolerances of ich or Amyloodinium. The trouble is there are different tolerances for different life stages, and then there is the tough to kill eggs of Neobenedenia.
Ive used chlorination and dechlorination to batch sterilize water, but I’ve never been convinced that the chlorine doesn’t chemically change aspects of the water. Hydrogen peroxide is less apt to change the water, but it is difficult to dose because the effectiveness is lowered by the presence of organic material....so just a long way of saying IDK!
Jay

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a very informative reply nonetheless! I didn't know about Neobenedenia so something for me to read up on. I was actually reading the thread you started about 45 day fallow periods. Lots of very useful info.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back