Knicks in front panel of 300 gallon

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am pretty heart broken at finding this on my fish tank this morning. I always knew scratches would happen, but this feels worse. I suspect my kids and their friends were in my office playing at some point and hit the front panel of my tank with something.

I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there anything I can do about these knicks in my front panel? They are super obvious due to being deeper than a scratch. I would estimate 1-1.5mm of depth in the 3 largest ones. There are a total of 8 knicks.

The tank is a 300 gallon Planet Aquariums eurobraced custom tank. Are there any concerns regarding integrity with knicks like these in the middle of the front panel?

Thanks ahead for your help.

(The envelope was used to help the camera focus)
1.jpg

2.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not on integrity.

You can polish glass. Reach out to the manufacturer and see if they recommend anything. You should be able to at least smooth it out a bit.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it structurally. Can you fill it in with epoxy, similar to how they fix chips in car windshields?

That's what I was hoping. Since it's not a scratch, I am thinking that could work, but wasn't sure if anyones tried it before or not.

Probably not on integrity.

You can polish glass. Reach out to the manufacturer and see if they recommend anything. You should be able to at least smooth it out a bit.
Good idea, I will reach out to them. Thank you.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some compound on a wool bit with a rotary tool can probably get the white out of there. Mask around the area before you work. What to use will depend on the softness of the glass.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some compound on a wool bit with a rotary tool can probably get the white out of there. Mask around the area before you work. What to use will depend on the softness of the glass.

I feel like it's deep enough that it needs to be filled with something first though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back