Kole tang QT or in 45g AIO?

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a Kole tang for a new reefer 350 I’m setting up. It seems like I have one of 2 choices. Buy one for $130-$150, while they’re still available, and quarantine while the reefer cycles or buy one that’s already been quarantined for more and drop it in the current 45 gal display. I know the tank long term is too small but it’s temporary. The tank is mostly euphelia and other LPS with a pair of clowns, a goby, and a flame hawk fish. Plenty of rock to hide , sleep, get comfortable.

problem with the quarantined fish is that it’s $50 less than the companies minimum which means I’d have to get something else and I can’t find anything I want.

decisions, decisions. Would a 16 gallon be sufficient for a 30 day QT? It’s already cycled.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would QT a not-too-large Kole Tang in a 15-gallon (but no smaller!) for 30 days, under the theory that a LFS would probably display one for sale in a 15-gallon, and it might take 30 days to sell. Lol. Best wishes.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably be fine in a 15g but shy and hide a lot as they are nervous in QT.

I have mine QT in a 45g plastic bin that was cheap at Home Depot. I filled it half way. Works well for swimming room and lightweight. Can pack something else in it after. Fraction of the cost of a glass tank.

If I were you, I would buy from whichever vender can get you a small Kole since it is for a 40g. The one I have is pretty large, was the last one available before the price hike. It wouldn’t fit in a 40g comfortably. It is much larger than the yellow tang.

B95BBCB9-5992-414C-8826-B590D44FEA6A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably be fine in a 15g but shy and hide a lot as they are nervous in QT.

I have mine QT in a 45g plastic bin that was cheap at Home Depot. I filled it half way. Works well for swimming room and lightweight. Can pack something else in it after. Fraction of the cost of a glass tank.

If I were you, I would buy from whichever vender can get you a small Kole since it is for a 40g. The one I have is pretty large, was the last one available before the price hike. It wouldn’t fit in a 40g comfortably. It is much larger than the yellow tang.

It’ll just live in the 45 gallon until the reefer, 73 gallons I think, cycles. But the 45 is an AIO, so the new tank has about 2x the actual water capacity since it has a sump. Crazy how the prices have gone.

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This might be a dumb question but did you use something like Dr. Tim's or Turbo start on this? Is there just an air stone/heater in there as well? Any water changes during that period? I know it's just a QT but I don't have one and haven't added any fish to mine since I set it up a year ago. This looks doable so I figured I'd ask - especially because I'll likely only add one more fish to the tank. Seems like a lot of work for adding one fish, but I know the consequences could be worse.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for fish do not need to be cycled unless a specific type of fish that are exceptions to the rule. For a Kole tang, no need to get cycled first. However, make sure it has plenty to eat. These guys are such pigs. They will get skinny fast.
I qt'd mine in a 20g, but it was maybe 2". Little guy.

Either option will work really. Just depends on the effort you want vs cost. Maybe a fellow reefer in your area would like to order a fish too? Just a thought. Could get over that min. $.

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for fish do not need to be cycled unless a specific type of fish that are exceptions to the rule. For a Kole tang, no need to get cycled first. However, make sure it has plenty to eat. These guys are such pigs. They will get skinny fast.
I qt'd mine in a 20g, but it was maybe 2". Little guy.

Either option will work really. Just depends on the effort you want vs cost. Maybe a fellow reefer in your area would like to order a fish too? Just a thought. Could get over that min. $.
Awesome - thank you!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive QT'd Tomini/Kole tangs in a 10g for 30 days no problem. Any bigger of a tang and id go with a 20g minimum

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting one that was already quarantined and dropped him in the 45 gallon while the bigger tank cycles. Hides when I go in the room but comes out and swims around when I leave. I know this because one of my home security cams is named “fish cam” lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question but did you use something like Dr. Tim's or Turbo start on this? Is there just an air stone/heater in there as well? Any water changes during that period? I know it's just a QT but I don't have one and haven't added any fish to mine since I set it up a year ago. This looks doable so I figured I'd ask - especially because I'll likely only add one more fish to the tank. Seems like a lot of work for adding one fish, but I know the consequences could be worse.

No, I did TTM so they get moved every 3 days into a clean tub so ammonia never became a problem. I just added a little prime every day to be safe. I fed lite and fed cleaner foods like mysis. No water changes. I set up the FINAL tank with biospira and a HOB filter.

If you plan to NOT use TTM but something else, use some sort of bio media/HOB filter or sponge filter works too (cheap and works with air stone) and then dose Biospira since you wont be moving fish every 3 days.

They are in their observation tank now and I have not done any water changes since adding them. I set the tank up the day before with biospira and never saw any detectable ammonia. I feed them heavy in that tank.

The container to hold the fish doesn't matter so if you want to use a cheap tote, that is fine. I find them a lot more convenient.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back