Kole Tang with HLLE -- Lesson learned

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago I set up my first quarantine tank. Up until then, I had just added fish and corals directly into my display tank since it was brand new and I had little to lose if something went wrong. But I wanted to add a Kole Tang to help tackle my macro algae problems, so I figured I would go the QT route now that my tank is more established.

I picked up a nice Kole Tang, but within the first couple days I noticed large white bumps forming on its head and sides.

IMG_4243.jpg

I wasn't sure what it was and suspected possibly ich or lymphocystis. I started treating with PraziPro and within a couple days the white bumps were gone but it left behind scar tissue. Closer examination revealed missing flesh or divots. I finally figured out this was likely HLLE.

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

As I researched HLLE, I learned that it can be caused by activated carbon. I didn't realize that the Tetra hang-on-back filter pump I placed on my quarantine tank used activated carbon in their filters. Tetra calls it "Stay Clean Technology", but nowhere in their documentation does it describe this is actually activated carbon inside the filter pads. Instead I learned this from 3rd party reviews.

I removed the carbon filter cartridge and replaced it with clean filter pads. Hopefully the HLLE won't progress any more, but the damage is done. I'm just kicking myself for not more carefully researching this Tetra filter before putting it into use. Lesson learned. :(

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE can also be a result of poor diet. To help make sure you're feeding plenty of vitamin rich foods and make sure she has access to algae strips to graze on :) yellow eye kole tang is my favorite fish :) I hope yours makes a full recovery :D

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep feeding him. He should be fine. As much nor I as he will eat and whatever variety he will accept. Pellet or other.
I don't use their filters anymore. I switched to the kind of filter that you pour the stuff in the bag... But I don't pour the stuff in the bag. Mostly it just runs with nothing in it. But if you had high nitrates, you could run nitrasorb, but on a QT tank a large water change or 2 is safer. I preferr to keep the QT as simple as possible.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a fish "smoothie" made by using a variety of frozen food cubes and vitamins: chopped clams, mysis, brine shrimp, cyclops, seaweed, reef mix, etc. mixed with Selcon, Zoecon, vitachem, etc. Take one of each cube. Place in tupperware in fridge. Allow to "slump." Add vitamins. Allow to mix a bit. Feed to your fish. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back