Kphilly's 150G Tank Build

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a while. I used to have a 30G Cubed tank. Loved the tank, and every critter that lived inside it. Due to certain change of events (College) I had to get out of the tank. But now I have returned! I have researched and researched, until the bug finally had bit me. I'm ready for my own 150G DIY build. Canopy stand, sump, and tank! That's a lot, I know. I have a good buddy who is going to be assisting me in the build. He has more knowledge of the tools and materials we need. But even though this is a huge build, I know to stay determined because you can think about something all day, but until you jump in you will never gain the true know-how! I started this thread for three main purposes: To get advice (of course), to have a nice thread going for anyone new to the hobby or is dipping their toes in the DIY water, and for anyone who is just curious to tag along on this build. This build will take a few months because projects take time and money. I wanted to post the thread now so I can begin gaining knowledge of how to make this project even better! I'm not quite sure why I chose a 150G, more than likely because I felt it was a great size between 125G and a 200G. Eh, doesn't matter the size, just matters that I start. I'm experimenting with 3D modeling to get my idea out there more concrete and precise. May not be the typical route, but I always wanted to dabble in it anyways. For you newer or more curious fellas, I will try to post links of where I gained some of my knowledge. For you more experienced reefers, please do not hold your tongue! I am fond of constructive criticism! One last thing, I am a building science major. What better way of learning about my major then by mixing it with my hobby? Thought I'd throw that in there! Anyways, let's begin!
150%20Gallon%20Saltwater%20aquarium%20build_zpsthaclsf1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
150%20Gallon%20Saltwater%20aquarium%20build_zpsthaclsf1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
150 Gallon Saltwater aquarium build_zpsthaclsf1.jpg

SO, here she is. The front view of the mother-ship. Or at least somewhat front.. I'd thought I'd start by giving a simple run-through of a few things. I've researched but then again, I could be off. For the 150G I thought that I would go with 1/2" thickness in glass. That's all the way around (Unless 1" on the bottom could help support.) Also, when I say "All the way around," I am including the euro braces (Which for those of you who have never heard of it, I will share what knowledge I have gained of it) and all the panes pertaining to the overflow box. The measurements are 6ft in length,
1 1/2ft width, and 2 1/2ft height. That is "supposedly," the standard measurements for a 150G tank. I will post where I found these measurements here http://www.aquariumdimensions.com/
My measurements could be off, mainly because it's taken me 2 days to get the 3D model the way I felt it should be. If they are slightly off, just know it's due to lack of sleep! o_O Also, not that I think it matters, the model was created true to fit. I actually measured and built it off of the per-inch system. So, the program built more what it would resemble in the real world.
Side view of aquarium.jpg

Alright, I'll start here with the in-depth breakdown. I kinda thought of this for my own aquarium. It's not a "I can't live without it idea." Since I am in college and living in an apartment complex, the tank will need to move later on down the road. So, I thought putting in a 1" hole to plumb, roughly 5" or 6" from the bottom (Because sand bed could could be 2" to 4" deep) that it would be a good way to drain most of the water from the aquarium. Just a thought.
Euro Brace view.jpg

Next up, is the bracing. This could be some solid information for anyone new or has never heard of "Euro Bracing." I came across this idea while searching across YouTube for bracing ideas. Glass bows, but not as much acrylic. Glass will only bow so much until it shatters and sends everything within it's borders onto your nice bedroom, living room, or wherever your aquarium is located floor. Most aquarium I see these days have the center braces that run from the front of the aquarium to the back, while crossing the middle of the tank. Works well, and is a preference by many. Others don't like it due to the fact that it can cause "shadowing," across your tank. I am one of those people. But anyways, to the point. Bracing keeps the aquarium from bowing, and also from shattering. I have seen build like mine above and they seem to be holding just fine. My only question is, will 3" width be enough or do I need 4" or more for my size tank? Also, do I need to brace the bottom? I was unsure of both. I hadn't planned on flushing mine (Siliconing it even with the top of the tank) but just placing it on top of the lip of the aquarium. I feel if it's simple and efficient, it will do just fine for me. No need to get fancy. For those curious about Euro Bracing, here's a video link.

Outside Overflow view.jpg

Here's the outside shot of the overflow box. I'll get measurements out of the way. The box is located exactly 2" from the top lip of the aquarium. It is 10" in length, 3" in width, and 5" in depth (Or Height) It contains three 1" holes for the plumbing. I've decided to go with 1" plumbing and I will provide some links showing why. I have chosen to construct the "Bean-Animal," system as my choice of filtration which I will also post links of, for those who are curious. I may need to go to 1.5" plumbing though, thoughts on that are helpful. Also, not sure of the exact measurements for the braces that go under the overflow box. Tips would be great.

For information on pluming and PVC pressure
http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

Info on Bean-Animal filtration
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Video of Bean-Animal Filtration

Inside view of overflow.jpg

Here's the inside of the tank, where the water actually goes over into the overflow. I set it 1" from the top (Not including where the euro brace will sit) and that should be where the water level should stay in my DT. I tried condensing the overflow, but will consider widening it if it will produce better surface skimming. The overflow is 10" in length, 1" in width, and 6" in depth. I will drill two 1" holes in between the overflow and the overflow box to allow the water to run in.

For now, that's what I have as far as the tank. I will work on modeling the plumbing, sump, and stand when I get more time. Wanted to go ahead and get the tank out there so I can start finding flaws. Forgot to mention to other DIY builders, DO NOT attempt to drill a TEMPERED tank. It will more than likely shatter. I believe there is a way to drill it, but requires more experience and resources to do so. Make sure you are drilling Non-Tempered glass panes. I have someone experienced doing mine for my first build. I like to remember the K.I.S.S. principle. "Keep It Simple Stupid," or "Keep It Super Simple." I find that works for me best! DIY is very possible and can be much cheaper. Keep an open mind, and do your research! As I mentioned earlier, any advice, ideas, or tips are welcomed. I'm not perfect, therefore my creations will not be perfect. I will post a few more pics of the model below, thank you all for any help in advanced! I'm off to bed now, the girlfriend came in once already and wasn't to happy!

Front shot.jpg

Back shot.jpg

backside shot.jpg

150 Gallon Saltwater aquarium build.jpg

150 Gallon Saltwater aquarium build_zpsthaclsf1.jpg

OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the broken URLS, I need sleep more than I thought. Forgot to mention, the overflow box is in the corner in-case I need to reach for repairs or anything else. The tank will be along a wall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No takers? Could use some help to designing the overflow box. Need to make sure it will be big enough for the flow rate/

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Overflow inside the tank is very undersized for the flow rates needed for that size tank. You'll want the skimmer plane to be 18"+ to keep noise down.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why design the overflow? Why not use one that is prebuilt?

OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Overflow inside the tank is very undersized for the flow rates needed for that size tank. You'll want the skimmer plane to be 18"+ to keep noise down.
I thought it was to small, but actually we plan to make this a 180 now just to even out the measurements. Think 18" would still be enough?

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man but I don't know a thing about building overflows.....but I'm going to follow this build...maybe I learn something! :D

OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man but I don't know a thing about building overflows.....but I'm going to follow this build...maybe I learn something! :D
That's not a problem, any thoughts are welcome. it's an ever changing process. We started out with 150G, then 180G, and now talking about 200G being the cap off! :confused: But I'm thinking that 180G would be the best, and the design is going to be just like my pictures but just a bit bigger!

OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the plan has been upgraded to a 200G as of now. Just finished up the designs of sump, tank, and the 10G ATO system that I will run next to the tank.
Front view.png

This is a quick overview of the system without plumbing. The only thing I really changed with the DT tank is I eurobraced the sides and ran the eurobrace on the bottom. Let me know if any more pictures are needed.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would re-think (eliminate) the hole in/near the bottom; that's a potential disaster failure point.

OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to see the bracing and a top view. Is the overflow on the inside or out ?
Hey bud, the bracing is the same except that I added bracing on the widths of the aquarium. I also decided to put the same bracing on the bottom too. The actual overflow box, is on the outside of the tank. I have a link for the "overflow," that goes in the tank itself. It's posted in the links on earlier messages.

OP
OP
KPhilly

KPhilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to get away from the tank build itself for the moment, can we discuss equipment? I've mainly been thinking of running the Tunze DOC 9410 Skimmer and the all new Ecotech Vectra DC return pump. I do want a carbon reactor and i'm thinking as the 200G reef progresses I will need a calcium reactor. Any recommendations? I prefer efficiency over brand name any day too! As for lights, was thinking of picking up 3 Ai Sol Blues to run off an Apex Standard Controller

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It weakens the pane right?
I wouldn't be so much concerned about that, but rather the potential for leaks. If a bulkhead there begins to leak, it won't stop until the tank is empty.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 54.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.3%
Back