Lab equipment?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of placing an order with a nearby lab supply store, they seem to have the lowest prices for the hanna phosphate reagent. What would be some (not 3 figure priced) lab equipment, glassware and stuff, that could make life with a tank easier?

So far thinking of proper glass pipettes, beakers, a bunch of glass vials fitting on my tiny magnetic stirrer so i'm not constantly having to grab random glass and plastic vials with varying sizes, scalpels, weighing dishes and containers for diy powders and stuff.

Thoughts?

p.s.: on a related note, hanna recommends using syringe filters against particulates in the water. But assuming that they are disposable I can't justify longterm quadroupling the cost per test of the already expensive phosphate checker, is there a way to reasonably (and cheapishly) diy them with replacable filter paper or something? Or would that be useless? It's not like they need to be sterile.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of placing an order with a nearby lab supply store, they seem to have the lowest prices for the hanna phosphate reagent. What would be some (not 3 figure priced) lab equipment, glassware and stuff, that could make life with a tank easier?

So far thinking of proper glass pipettes, beakers, a bunch of glass vials fitting on my tiny magnetic stirrer so i'm not constantly having to grab random glass and plastic vials with varying sizes, scalpels, weighing dishes and containers for diy powders and stuff.

Thoughts?

p.s.: on a related note, hanna recommends using syringe filters against particulates in the water. But assuming that they are disposable I can't justify longterm quadroupling the cost per test of the already expensive phosphate checker, is there a way to reasonably (and cheapishly) diy them with replacable filter paper or something? Or would that be useless? It's not like they need to be sterile.
A small magnetic stirrer makes titration easier. Syringe filter is rarely needed. If you are making solutions and dilutions, a graduated cylinder is handy.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

1000 ml Pyrex beaker has been something that I use constantly. I use it so much I just recently decided to purchase another. Magnetic stirrers for sure if you have to mix things those are incedibly useful. One last thing, if you use Salifert tests, a glass pipette to replace the ones in the test kit. For whatever reason my chemistry doesn't work with the ink on the ones that come as part of the test and they always are useless well before the test is used up. The glass pipette however has been going strong for me and was well worth the money spent.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use Hana checkers, I would agree that lab equipment is totally unneeded.

If your using manual titration then yes a magnetic stirrer is ok.
The problem is the liquid volumes are so small, that small beakers and stirrers need to be used. But it does make it a tad easier especially when you can fully concentrate on the color change.

I also purchased several things.
The glass pipettes were fine, but way to fragile and I have broken the tips on several.
So now I just use the plastic syringes, way cheaper and honestly I find them easier to clean.

A large graduated beaker or two will make mixing things simpler, I also have two of the 1000ml

But the stir plate honestly sits in the drawer now. I use it maybe once a year.
My Trident and Hanna's work way to well and are more accurate and consistent.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic stirrers are really handy outside of testing. When I make my 2 part a couple gallons at a time in a cheap one I got off of Amazon.
An accurate scale can be quite helpful as well when making dosing solutions.
Glassware as mentioned above.

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing, if you use Salifert tests, a glass pipette to replace the ones in the test kit. For whatever reason my chemistry doesn't work with the ink on the ones that come as part of the test and they always are useless well before the test is used up. The glass pipette however has been going strong for me and was well worth the money spent.

That is exactly the problem that made me consider this, stupid markings rubbing off or smearing. What do you use in combination with the pipettes for titration? The rubber ball with multiple valves (idk the english name), the geared plastic one, a more expensive one? Not sure which would be best for adding one drop at a time.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small magnetic stirrer makes titration easier...
I just got the SR Aquaristik Speed Test, which is currently on sale. So far I like it. It does make titration easier.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly the problem that made me consider this, stupid markings rubbing off or smearing. What do you use in combination with the pipettes for titration? The rubber ball with multiple valves (idk the english name), the geared plastic one, a more expensive one? Not sure which would be best for adding one drop at a time.
Graduated cylinders come in handy for me.
These are cheap amd last a long time.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this off of Amazon and it works great have been using it for a quite a while now. The pink tips will screw in so I use the tips from the test.
image0.jpg

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250ml(ish) erlenmeyers are ideal for mixing up pH calibration buffers and then plopping the probe in. Easy to mix; hard to tip over.

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone else looking for glassware or other lab supplies, I just stumbled across homesciencetools.com and am picking up a handful of beakers. They have lots of other equipment at great prices: digital scales, glassware, even microscopes.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the markings on the test kit syringe wears off put a piece of clear Scotch Tape on before use.
Problem solved!

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone else looking for glassware or other lab supplies, I just stumbled across homesciencetools.com and am picking up a handful of beakers. They have lots of other equipment at great prices: digital scales, glassware, even microscopes.

Carolina has been my go-to for lab supplies. they are cheaper than HST on most things, at least on lab glassware like beakers and grad cylinders.

Back