Lanthanum precipitate

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to start using lanthanum to bring my phosphates down. I have some Phosphate-E (which is the same as lanthanum - right?).

My understanding is that I want to dose the lanthanum into a fine mesh filter sock, in order to capture the precipitate. Because it's a bad thing for the precipitate to make it into my system. What I don't get is how this could work - does the lanthanum bind with the phosphate so quickly that no unbound lanthanum would make it through the filter sock? I would think that some would make it through the filter sock and bind with phosphate elsewhere in the system, which I'd like to avoid.

Also - how much of a daily PPM drop of phosphate is safe? How gradually should I drop my phosphates?

Thanks!

- Dave

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to start using lanthanum to bring my phosphates down. I have some Phosphate-E (which is the same as lanthanum - right?).

My understanding is that I want to dose the lanthanum into a fine mesh filter sock, in order to capture the precipitate. Because it's a bad thing for the precipitate to make it into my system. What I don't get is how this could work - does the lanthanum bind with the phosphate so quickly that no unbound lanthanum would make it through the filter sock? I would think that some would make it through the filter sock and bind with phosphate elsewhere in the system, which I'd like to avoid.

Also - how much of a daily PPM drop of phosphate is safe? How gradually should I drop my phosphates?

Thanks!

- Dave
Smart to ask these questions now.
Dose diluted 50:1 into the overflow, caught by the 5 micron filter sox, and skimmer.
Drip over a few hours to minimize impact to dt.
Do not lower po4 by more than 0.5 ppm/ day.
Do not use lanthanum below 0.2 ppm.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks!

- Dave
Don't know what Phosphat-E is. However - If you think about it - the second you add lanthanum into your tank - lets say in a reactor - there will be a percentage that will escape - so I disagree with your comment that lanthanum will cause an immediate problem. As long as your filter is collecting the residue - it should be fine. PS - I would not have a system that allows Lanthanum into my display tank. You would want to try to ensure it does not go elsewhere in your system. @Randy Holmes-Farley would be the go-to here IMHO

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the lanthanum bind with the phosphate so quickly
As far as I could tell when googling it a while back the precipitate forms almost immediately with a particle size of 0.4 microns. This particle then grows up to 100 microns over time, don’t remember how long.

Edit - I concluded the larger particle sizes only occurred under excess lanthanum concentrations, but I’m not a chemist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart to ask these questions now.
Dose diluted 50:1 into the overflow, caught by the 5 micron filter sox, and skimmer.
Drip over a few hours to minimize impact to dt.
Do not lower po4 by more than 0.5 ppm/ day.
Do not use lanthanum below 0.2 ppm.
My overflow feeds into a 30 micron roller mat. But I set up a seperate pump in my sump which pumps water into a 1 micron filter sock. So I plan on dosing directly into that.

I think you mean 0.05 and 0.02, though - right?
Don't know what Phosphat-E is. However - If you think about it - the second you add lanthanum into your tank - lets say in a reactor - there will be a percentage that will escape - so I disagree with your comment that lanthanum will cause an immediate problem. As long as your filter is collecting the residue - it should be fine. PS - I would not have a system that allows Lanthanum into my display tank. You would want to try to ensure it does not go elsewhere in your system. @Randy Holmes-Farley would be the go-to here IMHO
Phosphate E: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphat-e-liquid-phosphate-remover-brightwell-aquatics.html

I don't understand what you're saying - how can I ensure that it doesn't go elsewhere in my system? That's what the filter sock is for, but if it escapes through that, how could you prevent it from getting into your display tank?

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Under 0.2 ppm, use GFO.
Ok, thanks. Could you explain? My phosphate is at 0.15. I want to get it below 0.1. Why not use lanthanum? I'd rather not use GFO, I'd be afraid of stripping all the phosphate out. And other things. Lanthanum seems better to me.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, one key to safe lanthanum use is get lanrhanum chloride reacted quickly with the intended target, po4. Free lanthanum in the tank is not good. If the po4 level is too low, the lc may find something else undesirable to react with before po4.
This is my opinion. Others may have methods that work for them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. Could you explain? My phosphate is at 0.15. I want to get it below 0.1. Why not use lanthanum? I'd rather not use GFO, I'd be afraid of stripping all the phosphate out. And other things. Lanthanum seems better to me.
From what I understand, it's much more likely to strip all the phosphate out with lanthanum than with GFO.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to cut and sew these
Honritone 7 Inch Ring by 18 Inch Long Felt Filter Sock 5 Micron - Liquid Fabric Sump Filter Bag - 1 Pack https://a.co/d/aaPAMmB
Yes, I do remember that brand, and that they were super long, lol. Did you use anything special to see them with? (I believe they are glued or otherwise bonded at the bottom... I'd want to be sure the sock was sealed adequately)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley if there is anyone here who is an expert on phosphate binding its Randy - I would await his comment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure you will notice any change on lowering phosphate from 0.15 ppm to 0.1 ppm, but either lanthanum or GFO can do that just fine.

Of course, there is some potential risk of lanthanum and fish, but you will be using a very small amount. I do not think we know what the potential tox issue is, or why only a few folks observe it. I think it is possibly particulate lanthanum phosphate or oxide or carbonate particles irritating fish gills, but do not know that for sure.

There should be no problem lowering it slowly with either method by just using an appropriately small amount.

I'd go slowly, not because an immediate jump in phosphate from 0.15 ppm to 0.1 ppm would concern me, but because you do not want to overshoot with a mis-estimate of the amount needed.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought 1 and 5 micron here.

You could react a little Lanthanum in a jug with some tapwater (assuming tapwater has a bunch of phos), if it clouds you could tip it through the socks into a glass and see if it’s clear at either of those micron sizes.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I overstock and overfeed so my PO4 is always higher. I have been dosing lanthanum for about a year with no negative effects to my fish. And I have 5 tangs in the tank and that is one I believe is supposed to be affected. I use Brightwell Phosphate-E

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back