Large Bristle Small Tank

Kamate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two month old 20 gallon that I’m setting up to introduce corals into in about 3-4 months. I have 4 fish (Clowns and Bangai Cardinals). I only have 6 rocks (about 12-15 lbs) they were all dry but I messed up and did get one live one which must have had hitchhikers . I’ve noticed about 6-9 bristle worms and two are over 6”. I was able to trap a 3” and caught a 4” with tweezers but there’s still the two huge ones that I’d like to take out before I start with corals, but they are super fast and not going into the trap.

My thought is to take each of the rocks out and dip them in fresh water as I’ve read that the worms will fall out. Then I can just put the rocks back into my tank. So that by the time I get corals the tank will have had 3-4 month of stability.

I know that bristles are part of my CUC but when the biggest pet in my tank is the worms I would rather not have them there. The smaller ones I can deal with but I have a small tank and am limited on what I can put in to deal with them. I am planning on getting a Fire Shrimp to help control any future bristles should there be any little ones. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will limit themselves depending on how much you feed the tank. Otherwise, there are some plans and designs for bristleworm traps on R2R and the internet that you can give a try. I don't have a specific link, but you can easily find some with a search.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats actually a good indicator for you to be aware of how much you're feeding the tank. As mentioned above, if you overfeed you'll get a LOT of BW. I had them in huge balls during feeding time at night when I first started my tank. It was so gross to see, lol. But as I understood my tanks needs and adjusted my feeding accordingly, I rarely see them now. They are good CUC as well as a 'canary' of sorts to indicate over feeding.

That said, I Know you were asking how to get rid of them. There are traps for sale as well as DIY versions with a quick google search. The plastic bottle w/ the straws in it worked for me once but I gave up trying lol.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%

Back