OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start of DSB construction. I start with 5 cm bottom layer of siporax in the DSB chamber. Siporax is a product of the German brand Sera and consists of sintered glass, very porous. Ideal for bacteria growth according to Sera but IMO these pores will be overgrown of bacteria film rather fast. However the ring structure create a lot of tunnels back and forward – ideal for sedimentation. That’s the main reason why I will have them as a bottom layer in my DSB

P5040005.JPG

P5040008.JPG

P5040001.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step - 10 cm coarse (2-5 mm) coral sand (Argonite). The amount, of course, absolutely scientifically calculated - it was what was in the bag I bought for a good price :) Over this layer there will be a less coarse sand (0.5 - 2 mm) - approximately 5-10 cm.

P5050028.JPG

I also started to think about my lighting. It will, of course, an LED construction. I will build my own version - I have some custom made 5-channel Dream Chip - left over from a previous project - which I will use.

But it takes time to build them so I need something to use until the construction is finished. I'm very fond of systems where you can control which wavelengths you want and where you may limit the use of phosphorus-coated white LED as much as possible. Especially I do not like white LEDs with low color temperature. Ideally, I want to have 14 000 K and above.

Pacific Sun's constructions are probably those closest to my ideal. However - they are a bit too expensive just to use a shorter time.

I have found one lighting that fit´s rather well to my ideas (not so high Kelvin as I want – but you can´t get everything). Its reef breeders Nano-lite WiFi – also known as Coral Box Moon LED light. I have order 3 pcs.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second and last layer of coral sand.

P5050035.JPG

P5050030.JPG

The water volume above the DSB is 30 l – 10 % of the display tank. I intend to do this volume to a refugium with macro algae. It has been shown that some macro algae are able to take up nutrients from the substrate through the “roots” (through the rhizoids). Different species of Caulerpa are known for this ability. The goal is to have the refugium to run during nights.

Mangrove - maybe

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Colin Chaplin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, i know you say this is a new tank and is an experimental, did you used to have an under gravel filter reverse flow main tank that was popular back in the 80-90s?.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use under gravel filter back in the 70s :) But not reverse in salt water - only the normal.

This construction is not aimed to be an under gravel filter like the old ones - its more a variant of Jauberts DSB/plenum method - I will try to ad a slow current through the DSB

Sincerely Lasse

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse this is a great build, literally thinking outside the box. Following for the ride.

Quick question. Why did you decide to put the refugium/DSP on the back chamber of the DT rather than follow a "norm" and install a compartment in the sump? Is it purely for space reasons or is there a biological/mechanical reason not so apparent to me?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Why did you decide to put the refugium/DSP on the back chamber of the DT rather than follow a "norm" and install a compartment in the sump? Is it purely for space reasons or is there a biological/mechanical reason not so apparent to me?

Both together

There is some risks with a DSB – you can spell it hydrogen sulphide. It is dangerous for all living things but it is rapidly oxidized by oxygen. Of that reason I want to have the DSB first in the chain – before the skimmer and other processes that aerate the water. If I get a power breakdown – there is a risk that H2S will be formed in the DSB chamber – with the DSB first in the chain you force the water to bee aerated before (by the skimmer mostly) its returns to the display tank

I also want a deep bed and with a possibility to have refugium above the bed. This means that I need a certain height of the DSB/refugium. I had problem to have this demands to fit into the cabinet together with other equipment – so therefore this ide come up in my head. The overflow is also constructed in a way to give a possibility to decide where most of the water will fall into the rear chamber.

It is true that most systems with anaerobic zones has them as a last step – first produce nitrate – after that take it away. But we are dealing with recirculated system - not flow through – the nitrate molecule will pass the anaerobic zone sooner or later.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all - today has been the first real spring day in Sweden – 20 degree C all over the country. This had to be celebrated with a good meal - Sweden West Coast style and sitting outside.

spring.jpg

Back to reality :)

Mount of the background. Glued with glass silicone adhesive.

P5060053.jpg

P5060058.jpg

In order to minimize the risk to have the dry side of the magnet in saltwater – I isolated it with a small plastic bag. Its place is in the DSB.

magnet.jpg

magnet2.jpg

magnet3.jpg

Now I can attach the RW 8 streamer

rw8.jpg

hel.jpg

I do not like to look at a pump - therefore I´ll try to hide the as much as possible. Testing

P5060076.JPG

P5060077.JPG

I´ll be back

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm done with the background. It is difficult to get good pictures where the aquarium is - reflections everywhere. It now remains some small fix, including the outlet for the return pump and installation of a further wave maker before it is time to stock up on sand, stone and water.

I will visit Interzoo in Nuremberg last weekend in May, therefore - I will not fill with water before first of June..

Some pictures

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I'm done with the background. It is difficult to get good pictures where the aquarium is - reflections everywhere. It now remains some small fix, including the outlet for the return pump and installation of a further wave maker before it is time to stock up on sand, stone and water.

I will visit Interzoo in Nuremberg last weekend in May, therefore - I will not fill with water before first of June..

Some pictures

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

This is so cool!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back