OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Settled on the tank specs so I changed the name of the thread to match the tank. It’s going to be a couple months but I’m excited to start this build. I’m going to add all the specs and equipment to the first post so it is easy to see what I’m planning. If anyone has experience with closed loops let me know as I’m trying to finalize the hole placement.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an Orphek Osix 120 plus two of their dim power supplies and 6 of their new OR4 48” bars. I already have 2 OR3 blue plus 48” bars’ which is why I got the dimmer power supplies

My bulbs will be 2 sets of blue plus, UV, Blue Sky and Reef Day. I will test par with this configuration over the tank and if it is not enough I will either add 2 or 3 Atlantik Icons or just more bars of the par is close.

I have not seen a lot of posts on the Osix so I’ll post par and screenshots of the app and controls. I have used Orphek Atlantiks and OR bars for 6 years and I’m a fan of their spectrum and build quality.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is ordered and Joe at GlassCages said it may be as soon as 8 weeks so I have a lot of work to do to prep for its arrival. Joe made the process very easy and I highly recommend reaching out to GlassCages if you need a new tank.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 2 members of my tang gang are getting along like best friend in their temporary tank. I have a chocolate “mimic” tang in QT that will join them in a week or so
IMG_2084.jpeg

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers

Build details are in the second post

I’m starting this thread to track the latest stages of a 30+ year journey. I can’t remember the number of different reef tanks I have kept since the late 80’s when my aunt helped me setup a 29g saltwater tank with damsels a pair of clowns and Condylactis anemones. I remember both MACNAs in Cleveland 2 & 5 I believe and I have partaken in almost every fad over that time. Over all that time I have never had a reef with more than 150 gallons of water volume (15 years of living in an apartment was a big reason). Well me and my wife bought a house 3 years ago and the time has come to built the tank I have dreamed about for decades.

The goals:
- 6+ feet so I can keep larger schools of fish and tangs (I have kept plenty of tangs in smaller tanks but that was all in the past)
- SPS dominant: this tank will be acro colonies and montis. I have never had the space to grow out across the way I have liked. My goal are a few species with huge colonies with accent colonies in between (I have some nice colonies starting in my current system)
- minimum 30” depth so I can aquascape and not have a wall like look.
- it will be the centerpiece of our great room so it needs to look like furniture.

To meet the above goals I am looking at a Planet Aquarium Mega Matrix tank. My initial thoughts are 84” x 30.5” deeps x 25” tall. I’m planning to place the order in the next week or two. I have looked at the 72” and 96” versions and I keep gravitating to the 84” as it seems to be the right length for the depth and height. I’m looking at it sitting on a 36-42” stand with filtration next to it built into a bench with a lift top (I want a large sump so I’m looking at a 72” synergy as well as a couple other brands). There will be a lagoon style tank on the far side of the bench so I can display my large mangrove upstairs. I like my lights high above the water so I’m most likely going with Orpheks (I have atlantiks on my current tank and my try the OR3’s and OSIX controller).

Here are some pictures of the spot it will go with a frame the size of the tank so I can decide on the exact size. The large terrarium will be moved to the other side of the fireplace and the short wall will be removed.

42” high
IMG_1160.jpeg

36” high
IMG_1162.jpeg

The full tank 7’ size sitting in front of the spot
IMG_1156.jpeg

I have both 6’ and 7’ marked and the table is 8’ for reference.

The cabinets will be floor to ceiling and I’ll be building them myself. I found this picture which is close to the look I’m going for except it will go to the ceiling. The idea is to ensure no extra light spill since it is right next to the TV
IMG_1145.jpeg

Thanks for coming along for the ride as I plan this out then install it. If anyone has suggestions and tips please post them. While this may be my first large reef build a year ago I built a 4000g walk in vivarium that is fully automated so I am use to the complexities of larger projects.

IMG_1078.jpeg
Looks like a great project. Following.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start designing a simp for this, I’m probably going to have my LFS make it out of acrylic. The main reason is I want a sump that is 24” wide and it is hard to find sumps that wide. I also want it to be large and this will save on shipping.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a peninsula and planning to have canopy, I would run plumbing to the top of the back corners into 1" sea swirl. This will help with the flow on the surface and random flow. Drill the euro brace on the corner where the sea swirl will mount.

BTW, my wife would kill for those plants and plant room. I help build her an IKEA cabinet for her plants, it's tricked out with fans and making it look clean.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a peninsula and planning to have canopy, I would run plumbing to the top of the back corners into 1" sea swirl. This will help with the flow on the surface and random flow. Drill the euro brace on the corner where the sea swirl will mount.

BTW, my wife would kill for those plants and plant room. I help build her an IKEA cabinet for her plants, it's tricked out with fans and making it look clean.
It’s not technically a peninsula as it will be built into a corner. I’m putting all the plumbing on the end so I don’t have anything on the back wall of the tank (not a fan of internal overflow boxes and I would have to go with a 24” tank vs 30” if I put the external overflow on the back as well. I’m probably going to use gyres on the side with the overflow if I don’t end up getting Hydro tubes.

I have lots of plants to trade if you are anywhere near Ohio. I’m sure I have something your wife would be interested in lol.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning on going with a sump that is either 60 or 72 long by 24” wide and 18” tall. The plan will be a Red Sea 1200 filter roller, large skimmer and live rock from my current tank. I will run a separate refugium or algae scrubber so all of the sump area will be for media and such. Let me k ow if anyone has suggestions of things I should incorporate. I plan on having my LFS build it for me as I can’t find many 24” wide sumps

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not technically a peninsula as it will be built into a corner. I’m putting all the plumbing on the end so I don’t have anything on the back wall of the tank (not a fan of internal overflow boxes and I would have to go with a 24” tank vs 30” if I put the external overflow on the back as well. I’m probably going to use gyres on the side with the overflow if I don’t end up getting Hydro tubes.

I have lots of plants to trade if you are anywhere near Ohio. I’m sure I have something your wife would be interested in lol.
I'm east side of cleveland. Also have a glasscages tank and aluminum stand. Let me know if you need a hand moving when that beast arrives.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer, I may use a moving company since they are insured. How big is your tank?

Len
Just a 180g but I helped move a 300+ one also glasscages.
1000010425.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your GlassCages tank. Joe was great to work with and I’m pretty excited to get mine
Love it. Are you getting it delivered or heading down for a pick up? Be sure to inspect before fedex leaves just to be sure no shipping issues. Mine came packed great and there were no issues. Been up and running 2 years now. No issues at all. I may have missed it but did you also get the Synergy overflow? That is also great. Joe and his team are the best. The customer service is the best out there and they always go above and beyond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. Are you getting it delivered or heading down for a pick up? Be sure to inspect before fedex leaves just to be sure no shipping issues. Mine came packed great and there were no issues. Been up and running 2 years now. No issues at all. I may have missed it but did you also get the Synergy overflow? That is also great. Joe and his team are the best. The customer service is the best out there and they always go above and beyond.
I’m having it delivered to Richfield so I have to go get it there. I did get the synergy (I have heard lots of good things about it) I like external overflows as they really leave the tank free for scaping. Going to possibly order a custom sump from somewhere local.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having it delivered to Richfield so I have to go get it there. I did get the synergy (I have heard lots of good things about it) I like external overflows as they really leave the tank free for scaping. Going to possibly order a custom sump from somewhere local.
I think aquatic technology does builds. They are in Columbia Station.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tang gang is getting larger (unfortunately the last round of fish in QT didn’t make it, never could get them to eat) so I added 2 Biota tangs to the team. They have been eating from the moment I added them to the QT tank so now it’s just a matter of going through their time in medication and then on to meet the rest of the team. I’m hoping to have 7-8 tangs ready to go into the 310 by mid summer.
IMG_2155.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back