Lethargic Lubbock's Wrasse (pics)

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one of my pair of Multicolor Lubbock's Wrasse chilling in the corner, still swims and kinda nit pics at food but looks very skinny. I've had the lights down the last few days and didn't notice until this morning. I have my QT almost ready, should I throw it in there and see if I can fatten him up? I'm afraid he's getting out-competed for food. I feed pellets and nori once to three times a day depending on my work schedule.

ToiAHy3l.jpg

Guapi98l.jpg

uy0pdHtl.jpg

8998E239-762D-4AFD-BE8A-4F43ADC8FEBA.jpeg

Last edited:

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about target feeding? I use a small pippet and feed mysis or brine at different sections of the tank. My tric color is a slow eater compared to all other fish, but that worked for me. I still do the same when i feed frozen food. When it is flakes only, yeah tri color eats less than the rest. QT is def a good idea. Also garlic oil on frozen food and see if that helps.

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about target feeding? I use a small pippet and feed mysis or brine at different sections of the tank. My tric color is a slow eater compared to all other fish, but that worked for me. I still do the same when i feed frozen food. When it is flakes only, yeah tri color eats less than the rest. QT is def a good idea. Also garlic oil on frozen food and see if that helps.

Thanks I'll try the garlic oil and frozen food trick! No mysis on hand.

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any white poop. Had him for 5 weeks. Yeah I just think the bigger one is getting to all of it first. My foxface is quite greedy too. I'm transitioning to a more balanced diet for my tank because I was afraid of this.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any white poop. Had him for 5 weeks. Yeah I just think the bigger one is getting to all of it first. My foxface is quite greedy too. I'm transitioning to a more balanced diet for my tank because I was afraid of this.

Wrasse are usually pretty aggressive eaters. I would try a mix of frozen foods like mysis, brine, veggie blend etc. Thaw, strain heavy liquid off. Mix together add a bit of selcon and garlic guard. Put enough in that he has a chance to eat and hopefully you can get him going!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are usually pretty aggressive eaters. I would try a mix of frozen foods like mysis, brine, veggie blend etc. Thaw, strain heavy liquid off. Mix together add a bit of selcon and garlic guard. Put enough in that he has a chance to eat and hopefully you can get him going!
^^^ this exactly

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was just wondering if they got to the maturity point where one was bullying the other, perhaps causing it to hide and not eat. Hope you can catch him soon, hopefully it's just a bully issue and he can recover once separated. Might even try to divide the tank if possible to protect the skinny one and see if his behaviour improves

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was just wondering if they got to the maturity point where one was bullying the other, perhaps causing it to hide and not eat. Hope you can catch him soon, hopefully it's just a bully issue and he can recover once separated. Might even try to divide the tank if possible to protect the skinny one and see if his behaviour improves

Yeah that's probably why! I think he'll do fine once I can get him into QT.

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't catch him yesterday, at work today. Fed frozen shrimp and garlic mix and he ate that readily. I'm not tearing my tank apart to catch one little fish so I'll keep up the shrimp feeds and we'll see how it goes.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the lights have been out for a couple of hours and the tank is dark, using a small flashlight locate the fish. Keep the light on the fish, it will mesmerize the fish making it easy to net it. Works really well sometimes on those really fast moving fish that are a challenge to catch. Best of luck. Beautiful fish. Got one in my DT.

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the lights have been out for a couple of hours and the tank is dark, using a small flashlight locate the fish. Keep the light on the fish, it will mesmerize the fish making it easy to net it. Works really well sometimes on those really fast moving fish that are a challenge to catch. Best of luck. Beautiful fish. Got one in my DT.

I would do this but they sleep under my rocks! No way to get to it. He's looking better today. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a turn for the worse. Bit the bullet and tore apart the tank to get him out. Now in QT and not eating so not very hopeful of the outcome here.

94508245-BCAD-47D2-99A2-9D62007F6787.jpeg

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just yet him out today? Any worrisome behaviour besides not eating?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch ammonia in QT — make sure you have some “sponge” media and dr Tim’s or biospira to avoid ammonia burn— that’ll finish it off fast.

Good luck!

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just yet him out today? Any worrisome behaviour besides not eating?

Yeah yesterday morning. He would lie there curled up not moving really, just getting blown around. Stress from being caught wore him out. I dosed Prazi Pro last night and this morning. Saw white poop today! Definitely think it's parasites. He was swimming more this morning so fingers crossed!

Watch ammonia in QT — make sure you have some “sponge” media and dr Tim’s or biospira to avoid ammonia burn— that’ll finish it off fast.

Good luck!

Yeah I have a ammonia detector and Prime.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah yesterday morning. He would lie there curled up not moving really, just getting blown around. Stress from being caught wore him out. I dosed Prazi Pro last night and this morning. Saw white poop today! Definitely think it's parasites. He was swimming more this morning so fingers crossed!

Yeah I have a ammonia detector and Prime.
If you saw white stringy poop, you need to soak food in focus and metroplex, or focus and general cure would be even better. Focus binds it to the food.

Back