Let's see those unique corals!

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (what I think is) an Astraeosmilia tumida from Fiji in my tank. I'll take photos when I get home.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see your best coral in your tank, one that really shines out from the rest. Maybe it is one that is large, or one that is just bursting with color. Let's see some of those amazing looking coral!
IMG_0077.jpeg

luis angel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see your best coral in your tank, one that really shines out from the rest. Maybe it is one that is large, or one that is just bursting with color. Let's see some of those amazing looking coral!
1000089919.jpg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how unique they are, but I have two that come to mind. First is my Fox Coral. Bought it on a whim because I’d never seen or heard of it before, and I’ve only ever seen one other for sale since then.
IMG_5303.jpeg

The other is a freakishly large torch. It started out very unassuming. It looked like any other single head frag, but 8 months later it’s got tentacles on average 6”-8” long and is just a single giant head that looks like it’s trying to split into 4 all at the same time.
IMG_5307.jpeg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t pick just one so I’ll put up my 3 largest Gonis
IMG_4702.jpeg
IMG_4703.jpeg
IMG_4701.jpeg
Hopefully I can get mine to grow like that at some point. It's terribly finicky about something. The little 2" frag I have looked like some sort of encrusting coral for months after I got it, then all of a sudden it perks up and extends an inch for about 2 months. It's been back to it's old self for about a month now and I have no idea why.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can get mine to grow like that at some point. It's terribly finicky about something. The little 2" frag I have looked like some sort of encrusting coral for months after I got it, then all of a sudden it perks up and extends an inch for about 2 months. It's been back to it's old self for about a month now and I have no idea why.
Yeah I still have the odd Goni that does things like that. Right now I’ve got a red Goni that’s been withdrawn but not dead for at least a month and a half. Like I’ve said before I love Gonis but they definitely have their peculiarities .

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of all the unique corals I have been working with this last past half decade the Nuclear Sunset Discosoma could be my all time favorite that has been in my tank. It looks super crazy in person - almost like it has 3d shimmer look / holographic aspect to it you cant see in photos (hard to explain).

I have had it for a bit under 4 years now and it has sadly never made another mushroom! I am to lazy to go run and get a photo so here is a non blurry one i found online.
nuclear sunset.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what mine aspires to be. Post #54 is the frag I got last week. Any special requirements to get it so healthy? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there specific to efflos.
Honestly havent done anything really special and it's been almost effortless. My tank is low tech with just a light and pump, no mechanical filtration of any kind. I do 30% weekly water changes and dose daily with All For Reef, and broadcast feed Reef Pulse once or twice a week, mainly for the benefit of my porcelain anemone crab.

My impression is that it seems to enjoy a fair bit of nutrients (think upper end of good paramters for sps) as well as well as some particulates floating around, likes strong diffuse lighting but absolutely hates hot spots.

Also worth noting this started out as a small maricultured colony and not just a small frag.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love trachy unfortunately my lemon peel angel fish likes them more. He won’t touch the lobophilia though

Back