Let's take a poll on paraguard

Have you used Seachem Paraguard to treat external parasites (ich, velvet)?

• Yes and it worked!

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Yes, but it failed to eradicate the parasites.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I have no experience using Seachem Paraguard.

Votes: 70 62.5%

• Total voters

Killakrys91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"So the results are in"
I stuck with paraguard for the full 28 days Seachem recommended and my fish were still flashing and getting spots. However it did greatly reduce the noticeable amount of spots on the fish body and fins. The fish treated were a Mollie a cleaner gobie and a coral beauty, the gobie I only ever seen 1 spot on his body and never seen him scratch the only thing I noticed on him was at time heavy breathing and hanging at the surface. The Mollie I never seen scratch but she was noticeably spotted she received 2 separate fw dips during treatment to help with heavy breathing. The angel was also quite covered with spots and heavy breathing she also received 2 fw dips. Because of the heavy breathing I added and air stone to bring up O2 levels it seemed to work quite well. I also used metroplex and focus soaked in garlic gaurd , because the Mollie definitely had an internal parasite (white stringy poop) I used it approx 3 weeks it did clear up the internal problem, I was also hoping the metroplex would help with the trophonts can say one way or the other if it did.
CONCLUSION paraguard imo is a good prophylactic or receiving tank treatment because it does treat other diseases however if the fish are showing signs of a parisitic infestation it would be better to go straight to the copper or CP. Also a paraguard bath my be more effective for some treatments such as flukes or possibly brooklynella. As far as velvet paraguard might buy you some time and definitely help with secondary infection regardless of whichever ectoparasites your dealing with it does contain an antiseptic it does not contain an antibiotic.
I most likely will continue using paraguard in my qt/receiving tank or as a 1 hr bath prior to going in my qt, to prophylactically treat brooklynella and reduce bacterial or fungal issues, however at the first signs of flashing the cupramine will go in.
Hi did you end up transferring to copper or cp treatment with these fish. I have a few in a QT tank now but want to switch to copper but I heard can’t mix the two. When can I start cupramine after last paraguard dose?

Dennis2213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A relative of mine donated his fish to me after throwing the towel on the salt water fish hobby. He had an out break in his tank with corals and could not retrieve all the fish without breaking down the whole tank. He finally tried a so called product that was supposed reef safe and killed everything. Once I took the fish in they where pretty rough. I preformed a paraguard dip, then doses paraguard everyday for 2 weeks. I also did metroplex and focus. After the first week the velvet was gone. Kept an extra week and they are still swimming. This became my go to instead of cupermine. I think the biggest issue with ParaGard is that nobody has ever really used it so if you don't really know and it's something that can be more effective in the methods you believe work, then you're instinctively going to be opposed to it. Let's all put this in practice next sick fish only use paragraph we'll do a community-wide experiment.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A relative of mine donated his fish to me after throwing the towel on the salt water fish hobby. He had an out break in his tank with corals and could not retrieve all the fish without breaking down the whole tank. He finally tried a so called product that was supposed reef safe and killed everything. Once I took the fish in they where pretty rough. I preformed a paraguard dip, then doses paraguard everyday for 2 weeks. I also did metroplex and focus. After the first week the velvet was gone. Kept an extra week and they are still swimming. This became my go to instead of cupermine. I think the biggest issue with ParaGard is that nobody has ever really used it so if you don't really know and it's something that can be more effective in the methods you believe work, then you're instinctively going to be opposed to it. Let's all put this in practice next sick fish only use paragraph we'll do a community-wide experiment.
I tried Paraguard for a thirty day run to treat ick and it was unsuccessful however since this post was originally made I’ve learned Paraguard is much more effective if used in the way you described “using it in a bath” rather than adding it to the tank. Seachem however doesn’t recommend both methods be used at the same time, bath and adding it to the tank. So I think a bath combined with a sterile tank every 2-5 days depending on the parasite being treated could be very effective of course some would argue it’s not the Paraguard that’s effective it’s the tank transfer that would be the effective piece in the treatment. Even if that’s the case the Paraguard bath would be effective in second hand infections which also kill fish with ick and velvet. The one thing you did do that differed in my treatment was to add metroplex. I have heard of fish keepers claiming metronidazole is effective in treating ick and velvet so maybe your method is the key. Good info thanks for the post

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using 3ml Paraguard to 1 gallon of freshly mixed saltwater as a 1-2 hour dip. I also use an air stone and leave them be. I like this process for all new fish, before they enter the QT tank. It will help prevent introducing something new and bad to the QT tank. A nice preventative measure that doesn’t cost much and is effective. I have dipped a clown that wouldn’t eat and would eat again shortly after the dip. This happened a few times. It was also effective at shedding off ich or velvet cysts stuck on newly infected fish. But once you’re at that point, I only really trust copper to truly rid ich though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back