Let's talk about Fish Only Tanks!!!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you also have to factor in all the enjoyment you get out of them in the meantime. Just think of them as rentals!

CJ

CTMarinelife

CTmarinelife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run vho for ten hours and halides for four hours to color up rock, salinity around 1.020, best add on was dart pump for circulation and WM Biopellets to keep nitrates at .10 - temp around 79.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the rewarding part of a FOWLR is watching juvi's grow into adults. Watching the change of angels into adults. Raising aggressive fish together from babies. Keeping fish that reefers can't. It takes a lot of time to accomplish some things.

One of my tanks was started around a Blueline Trigger. He was sent to the timeout tank many times before he would play nice in the sandbox. That tank is home to a Blueline Trigger, Goldheart Trigger, Pinktail Trigger, Blueface Angel, Emperor Angel, Falco Hawk and a Clown Tang. I had to start these fish out very small to get them to live together.

The other tank has a 22" Queen Trigger and a Lunar Wrasse. Not fish that reefers see every day. :wink:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are awesome and would be great for a FOWLR tank!

CJ

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run vho for ten hours and halides for four hours to color up rock, salinity around 1.020, best add on was dart pump for circulation and WM Biopellets to keep nitrates at .10 - temp around 79.

Thanks. I'm still debating on lights. I have the halides pendants hanging from the ceiling already, so I'm probably going to use them as my primary lighting. However, I'll probably end up doing something like vho for some nice actinic look for dusk/dawn look. Are T5s actually brighter than vho?

For me, the rewarding part of a FOWLR is watching juvi's grow into adults. Watching the change of angels into adults. Raising aggressive fish together from babies. Keeping fish that reefers can't. It takes a lot of time to accomplish some things.

One of my tanks was started around a Blueline Trigger. He was sent to the timeout tank many times before he would play nice in the sandbox. That tank is home to a Blueline Trigger, Goldheart Trigger, Pinktail Trigger, Blueface Angel, Emperor Angel, Falco Hawk and a Clown Tang. I had to start these fish out very small to get them to live together.

The other tank has a 22" Queen Trigger and a Lunar Wrasse. Not fish that reefers see every day. :wink:

Yeah, I think thats the biggest thing that I'm excited for is to get some juveniles, like Emperor Angel, Orange Shoulder Tang, etc that actually morph quite a bit. That would be really exciting to watch. I do plan on a female Bluejaw for my current male who I've had for probably a year now.

Triggers are awesome and would be great for a FOWLR tank!

CJ

They aren't bad in reef either :) I've had my bluejaw trigger in my reef for a year, and he's a model citizen. He's fun to watch, and a pig when it comes to feeding time. He eats everything I put into the tank, including trying to get my finger if he's feeling frosty :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 47.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back