Lets talk Tips for Beginning Zoanthid Keepers

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep them clean. Buildup of unwanted detritus and waste between polyps can lead to bacterial and fungal infections. Proper random water movement is essential, and frequent "basting" can go along way to insuring the health of a colony.

I have a painter soft brush, I use to clean the colonies. When I see a few not opening up or no babies are being produced, I clean the colony with a soft bristle brush, in a few days it starts opening again. This will often eliminate the zoa from melting

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many morphs of zoas
Most love my tank and grow like crazy but i must admit some morphs I just haven't had luck with? and I find most advice anecdotal at best

So what I always tell people is treat zoas like any other coral/living thing - maintain good water quality, lighting and flow, have patience and don't fall for snake oils and miracle supliment advice.

So my advice is simple:
Good husbandry practices over a long period of time is the secret to successful zoa care. Stick to the basics, growth and color will follow.

grwilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid to feed your fish, they will feed your polyps in return. My Zoas and Palys do better with some nitrates and phosphates in the tank.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're not thriving, a good dip can really help. I took out all of the live rock in my nano, zoas attached, and dipped them in Coral Rx. After months of receding, they're coming back. Always check for critters, built up detritus at their base and any sign of disease. If treated quickly, you can probably save the majority of your colony.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many morphs of zoas
Most love my tank and grow like crazy but i must admit some morphs I just haven't had luck with? and I find most advice anecdotal at best

So what I always tell people is treat zoas like any other coral/living thing - maintain good water quality, lighting and flow, have patience and don't fall for snake oils and miracle supliment advice.

So my advice is simple:
Good husbandry practices over a long period of time is the secret to successful zoa care. Stick to the basics, growth and color will follow.

I am gonna agree 100%. You need to have nutrients available but not built up. Feed heavy, but also keep up with water changes often. I have been doing this for awhile and have had great results. I water change about 5% every other day.

Janessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a general rule of thumb for how corals react to light? I know with plants they become darker green when getting less light because they need more chlorophyll...does this work the same way for coral and their zooxanthellae? Or is this something that varies with each coral frag? Also, how long should you leave a frag before moving it to try a new spot?

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fraging use a clean sharp razor blade to separate polyps. Use a new blade when switching colonies. Don't want chemical warfair on the blade to transfer between colonies. and hurt the new frag.

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a painter soft brush, I use to clean the colonies. When I see a few not opening up or no babies are being produced, I clean the colony with a soft bristle brush, in a few days it starts opening again. This will often eliminate the zoa from melting
Nice. Will have to try.

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this information. I am very new to SW tanks, coming from a FW background. I love the movement of the softer corals and I LOVE the colour of zoas. We don't seem to have as much info here in Australia as to the types of zoas as you do in the US. I'm trying to read up as much as I can about them and this article is a great help.

D_Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member 1 day old ...What is the recommended length of blue and white lighting? I also spotted a spaghetti worm in between of six or seven polys is that a good or bad thing if bad what is a good way to getting rid of the spaghetti worm?

ScottyMcReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 and MH are the best for grow, LED for show. Some will disagree, but no LED compares to T5 or a MH IMO when discussing growth.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

doc_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had zoos for a few years now and done great with them. I just received some rosta zoos about 4 months ago. They look great, but I haven't seen them multiply. I got some Green Bay packers at the same time and they have already taken over the rock I put them on. Anyone with experience with Rastas?

aros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Rasta frag with about 5 and left it on a rock for about a year. It was off to an incredibly slow start but now that it's established it's been looking great and spread to about 50-60 polps

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back