LFS list/reviews?

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about starting a list of LFS in your area? Maybe add reviews (probably not the best idea but I threw it out there anyways)?

I'm always going from Toledo to Columbus/Cleveland area and love stopping by the stores there. Never been down to the Southeast or Southwest section of Ohio looking for LFS........yet :bigsmile:

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have stores in Cleveland? The greater Cleveland area is like the LFS black hole...lol There is Aquatic Technology in Columbia Station, Salty Critters in Vermillion. There are some mom and pop places, but they aren't much to talk about when it comes to saltwater.

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to Phishy before, was pretty impressed with their coral selection. Fish, well, I'm not into fish much so it was "ok". Fish did look healthy.

Never been to Reef Systems but my buddy has. He raves about it all the time.

There really are not many great places in Toledo. For coral you go to Ocean Treasures, fish Coral Reef, and the rest are either very rude, dirty, or HIGHLY expensive. I can go to one store and buy a colony of zoanthids for $40 and go to the other and get the same thing for $200 (I kid you not). They order from the same supplier as well.

I've been working with one of them for a few years now but the owner recently up and left. The store is now managed by a good friend and is making a turn around. He brought in more in one week then the store had made the previous two months.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been to Tidal Gardens in Akron? Is it actually open to the public?

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That link is pretty cool. Wow, is there nothing in Northern Ohio. Guess I'll keep ordering online :)

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just added Reef Systems and Phishy, thanks.

There really are not many great places in Toledo. For coral you go to Ocean Treasures, fish Coral Reef, and the rest are either very rude, dirty, or HIGHLY expensive. I can go to one store and buy a colony of zoanthids for $40 and go to the other and get the same thing for $200 (I kid you not). They order from the same supplier as well.

I've been working with one of them for a few years now but the owner recently up and left. The store is now managed by a good friend and is making a turn around. He brought in more in one week then the store had made the previous two months.

We just went up there about a month ago to visit my fiance's sick grandmother and visited 3 stores, Trilby Tropicals, Coral Reef and Ocean Treasures.

Trilby seemed super expensive on everything and seemed to have aiptasia in every tank.

Coral Reef seemed to have a very nice/clean set up and a ton of fish and not very many corals.

Ocean Treasures was tiny, not very much selection at all and seemed to be under construction. I think I overheard them mentioning they were about to place an ORA order though.

We're heading up again :( , but I'll post that in another topic.

mevstheworld

Salt Creep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that Tidal Gardens sells stuff on E-Bay under than-thein. They normally don't put stuff up until Thursday. They say that you can schedule a pick-up if you win an auction. Would be cool if they were open to the public.

I also forgot about Aquarium Adventure in Brooklyn, OH. They are super pricey though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Treasures was tiny, not very much selection at all and seemed to be under construction. I think I overheard them mentioning they were about to place an ORA order though.

I'd highly suggest stopping by again. The old owner is no longer around. Still technically owns it but is completely hands off. They've had four orders in within the past three weeks, more than the store has had in the past 6 months. And yes, you read that correctly.

Don't go expecting a lot of fish. The guy running it now, Justin, is huge into coral.

I've been to a couple Aquarium Adventures now. Nice place to go look around but that's about it.

mevstheworld

Salt Creep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that Tidal Gardens sells stuff on E-Bay under than-thein. They normally don't put stuff up until Thursday. They say that you can schedule a pick-up if you win an auction. Would be cool if they were open to the public.

I also forgot about Aquarium Adventure in Brooklyn, OH. They are super pricey though.

I just contacted Than Thein at Tidal Gardens. If you send him an email or call you can set up a visit, only on the weekends....

Field trip anyone??????:wink:

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. I was checking their site, and it shows the setup. Would be neat if I had some coin...lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back