Lighiting suggestions for 75

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO... I know this isn't a cheap hobby but im just starting to get my feet back wet in it, & I was wondering what would be the most cost efficient lighting system that would grow most corals. I know for sure I want to keep an anemone so sufficient lighting any ideas? or experience with particular setups & costs?
Thanks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 72 gallon DT with 2 Hydra 26 hd's. link I started with a less expensive light and found that I want to grow more and my corals were dieing off. I like the fact that one can upload settings, adjust setting form a PC or a app. I also use the Lunar effect setting and depending on the moon phases there is light on the tank most of the time.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went more manual. Because I can buy a timer cheep, can't ramp up the lights with a timer but I'm ok with out all the bells and whistles. Only working part time a have lots more "hands on" time. "EUPHOTICA 16" Dimmable LED Aquarium" $99! Might be cheep Chinese leds but amazing amazing coral growth since I switched from a way more expensive programmable led fixture. They also have a programmable version for under $300 if I remember correctly. Best$100 I ever spent on any tank in the past 8 years. You might need 2 on your tank if you don't want shadows. I have sponges and non photo coral so I like some little hide always and created caves with live rock

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its best to wait if needed to buy a quality light rather than something very inexpensive. It may seem like the right move to save a few dollars early on but long term can lead to failure in the hobby and then all of it was for nothing. Saving and buying something quality (at least a reputable name brand thats been around a while) will be at your best interest and give you the most likely chance at being wildly successful and enjoy the hobby for years, not months. Same goes for skimmers and pumps.

Oh and your ATO (auto top off), nothing will upset the SO faster than a flooded floor!

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it I had a 29 biocube my first attempt in the hobby it mysteriously got cracked in my daughters room so I'm familiar with water in the floor but as jsker mentioned the hydra brand does seem like a mid way that "might" fit the bill .. but I do want something that will last & surely do the job I really like the kessils but the having to buy two for the 75 is what's putting the hurting on me... any more suggestions ? Thanks to all who replied!!

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teke if you are talking about a standard 48" 75gal you will need 2 Hydra as well, however you could probably do fine with 2 AI Prime if you wanted to. If you aren't going to choose ATI (my first choice :) ) I would recommend AI over Kessil. If you want the best growth choose ATI T5, next best AI, next Kessil. That's my opinion at least!

Trying to light a 48" tank with 1 LED light ( Hydra, kessil etc) is going to be a bad idea. If it is a 30x24x24 or something a single light would work. Or just go ATI T5 and light the whole thing without shadows!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back