Light hanging stands!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any good ideas for a frame to hang lights from?
I saw a bloke who used PVC and thought it would be a good idea as it's totally customisable and I can paint it whatever colour I like, but I worry it would not be strong enough and it would break under the weight of the light.
Any suggestions?

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights and how many? I used shelf brackets and plywood. Cut holes in the plywood where you want the lights to sit. Created a floating canopy with removable front for easy access.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a fowlr so it's just an old 3 tube t8 unit till I can spend some money on a half decent light. It's surprisingly heavy though, I think too heavy for shelving brackets. That was actually a thought I had earlier lol.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised what they can hold. Go to the Home Depot or lowes web site and get specs. If you can drill them into studs there are ones that can hold anything

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bent conduit pipe is probably best.

AKA "EMT" or electrical metallic tubing.

Good suggestion!

It can be bent to shape or, like PVC tubing, there are lots of fittings generally available if you don't want to bend it.

You might find more than one kind available, so check that link to see the differences......something lightweight ought to be completely adequate. (Schedule 40 PVC might even be fine....)

-Matt

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aluminum t track for my light stand. Look at 80/20. It's the adult version of an erector set!

TankRazr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^+1 on the 80/20

....but probably not a viable option if you are in Australia. So maybe do a search for alternative brands of "t slot" aluminium profiles on ebay.......I've seen other brands in addition to 80/20

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 103 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back