Light Intensity Change Question

Dukeblue13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a Reef Breeders Photon 48 V2+, I have 120-gal mixed reef tank. The light sits 12 inches above the water with my highest rock point being 6 inches below the water. My tank is stocked with everything from LPS, SPS, and soft corals. Most of the tank inhabitants are doing awesome, I've just added a good portion of them over the last 4 months. I'm not seeing large growth changes but not expecting too yet. I have a simple single 11-hour schedule set with 45% blues and violet, 6% red and green, and 10% whites based off of BRS general recommendations customized to my specific set up. The system allows me to set a schedule with multiple points of intensity by time of day. As a normal reefer my mind starts running and questioning myself if I should be doing something different to help the animals thrive. My question is, Should I create my own schedule that increases to max intensity point and then decreases to nighttime lights? Something that would represent a normal sun intensity change. If I do how long should that max intensity last? If I'm over thinking feel free to tell me to stop and just let it be lol.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as someone that uses metal hallides, my lights turn on and off, and stays the same intensity all day, and my corals grow.

The corals just need enough photosynthesis during the light hours to survive, they don't care if we call it ramping up and down or peak intensity or moonlight, all that is for our benefit.

OP
OP
Dukeblue13

Dukeblue13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as someone that uses metal hallides, my lights turn on and off, and stays the same intensity all day, and my corals grow.

The corals just need enough photosynthesis during the light hours to survive, they don't care if we call it ramping up and down or peak intensity or moonlight, all that is for our benefit.
ok cool thank you. I figured I was over thinking lol.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out what therman and adam from battlecorals do with their photons. They have some of the most beautiful and quickest growing corals under LED anywhere. Nearly 100% on all channels all of the time - or at least they used to.

The light is the only for-sure thing that gets energy to your corals. I never understood why people are always interested in the minimum. I like to get them enough to thrive, not just be OK.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back