Light:nutrients ratio

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was listening to a podcast and the guest mentioned that there needs to be a good light:nutrient ration. He said if nutrients are high the light intensity should be low and visa versa.
What's a good example, numbers wise?
If my No3 is 15.4 and Po4 .08 what should I be shooting par wise?
I have some acros that immediately turned brown and just now barley starting to show colors after months and months. Par is fairly low, around 200-250, due to battling since algae and having some sps lower in the tank. I'm not trying to change up my light schedule, I guess I'm just trying to see if I'm in the ballpark.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your other inhabitants are thriving I wouldn’t change things. I’m sure there’s a benefit to paying attention to to intensity vs nutrient levels..but worth throwing everything else off? I’m not so sure. I feel like a lot of the popular micro adjustments of todays reefing community have a place..but a decade ago folks were still having success without any thought of trace element levels and different ratio aspects. Just my two cents. Somebody more in tune with that stuff may be able to better help you with specifics on this topic.

FWIW, I’ve sat on acros for months myself before getting some color/growth. Sometimes it took a change in location ( more light, better flow) sometimes they just decided to take off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back